Michael Koncz on Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao: "If the fans still want to see this fight, we're willing to do it."
Weighty issues: Rios' camp eyes Donaire nutritionist Conte
Manager Cameron Dunkin will address Brandon Rios' weight-cutting issues with Victor Conte, who also works with Rios' stablemate Nonito Donaire.
Manager Cameron Dunkin told RingTV.com on Monday that he plans to consult with former BALCO founder Victor Conte regarding the recent weight-cutting problems experienced by Brandon Rios, who lost his WBA lightweight belt on the scales but still scored an 11th-round knockout over John Murray Saturday night at Madison Square Garden.
The 25-year-old Rios (29-0-1, 22 KOs), of Oxnard, Calif., failed to make the 135-pound weight limit on Friday evening for his fight with the 26-year-old Murray (31-2, 18 KOs), of Manchester, England. Rios weighed 146.4 pounds at a 9 a.m. weigh-in on Saturday, in agreement with a deal struck with Murray's camp.
Although Rios earned the victory, he did so after having to abdicate his WBA title in accordance with organization rules. Rios also had to pay Murray $20,000 for missing weight after three tries on the scale.
Dunkin said that he will seek counsel on Rios' weight problems from Conte, who works with Rios' managerial stablemate Nonito Donaire and other world-class fighters such as former IBF and WBC welterweight beltholder Andre Berto.
"We're going to bring in Victor Conte. I'm going to have him send me a real diet for Brandon. Brandon is a kid who doesn't mind exercise, but he's going to have to train more," Dunkin said of Rios, who earned his fourth straight knockout and his 10th in his past 11 victories since battling to a draw with Manuel Perez in October of 2008.
"There is a balance. Working out doesn't bother Brandon. He would rather go to a workout for four hours so that he can have a hamburger and french fries, and that's okay if he does that. But we're going to balance it and find out what fits for him."
Although Rios will likely rise into the junior welterweight or 140-pound class for the future, Dunkin said he wants to make sure that would be the right move at this time.
"Maybe he can't make 135 anymore, but we're going to keep him away from too much fast food and we're going to have to talk about it," said Dunkin.
"We're going to bring in Victor Conte, and he'll put him on the right foods. We'll talk to Conte, but we're not going to ask Brandon to become what he isn't."
DUNKIN ON DONAIRE'S RETURN
Dunkin said Donaire will likely return to the ring in his junior featherweight debut against THE RING's No. 9-rated 122 pounder Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. (21-1-1, 17 KOs) on Feb. 18 in Las Vegas.
Donaire-Vazquez would be for the WBO's junior featherweight belt that is being vacated by Jorge Arce, who dethroned Vazquez Jr. (21-1-1, 17 KOs) by 12th-round knockout on the undercard of Manny Pacquiao's unanimous decision over Shane Mosley in May.
Promoted by Top Rank Inc., Donaire is coming off last month's unanimous decision over WBO junior bantamweight beltholder Omar Narvaez, who lost every round on the cards of the three judges in their bout at New York's Madison Square Garden.
Donaire returned to sparring and training on Monday.
Photo by Chris Farina, Top Rank Inc.
Lem Satterfield can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org