Middleweight beltholder Peter Quillin could soon defend his WBO title against promotional stablemate Danny Jacobs.
Lem's latest: WBC orders Hopkins-Dawson II, Chavez-Martinez
Page 1 of 2
The WBC has ordered a rematch between RING/WBC light heavyweight champ Bernard Hopkins and Chad Dawson, as well as a fight between WBC middleweight beltholder Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and RING champ Sergio Martinez.
Hopkins, THE RING light heavyweight champion as well as the WBC beltholder, is still recovering from a left shoulder separation following his controversial clash with Chad Dawson on Oct. 15, which was initially ruled to be a second-round TKO for Dawson after Hopkins was shoved to the canvas and deemed unfit to continue by referee Pat Russell.
On Tuesday, however, the California State Athletic Commission officially ruled Hopkins-Dawson a no-contest. This followed the actions of the WBC, which soon after the fight had restored Hopkins as titleholder following a majority vote of board members who disagreed with Russell's call and ruled the fight a "technical draw."
"I worked very, very hard on behalf of Chad to protect his rights. Now Hopkins has to fight us next as the mandatory. Justice has been served," said Shaw, from Las Vegas.
"The WBC was very fair. [WBC President] Jose Sulaiman was very sympathetic. So, I commend him. I was just standing up for Chad Dawson's rights."
In December of last year, Hopkins rose from two knockdowns during his draw with RING No. 1-rated light heavyweight Jean Pascal in the latter's native Canada before returning to Canada to dethrone Pascal as WBC beltholder by unanimous decision in May.
In victory over Pascal, Hopkins, who turns 47 on Jan. 15, became the oldest man to win a major title in boxing.
Prior to facing Hopkins, Pascal had vanquished Dawson in defense of his WBC belt by 11th-round technical decision in August of last year after the fight's result went to the scorecards following an accidental clash of heads that caused a deep gash over one of Pascal's eyes.
"I brought up the fact that Hopkins fought to a draw with Pascal and that the WBC gave him an immediate rematch, and wasn't a champion. Chad then stepped aside and respected the WBC and respected their ruling," said Shaw.
"Chad went on and fought someone else and waited. Then I told him that all that I wanted was for the same courtesy to be given to Chad Dawson that was given to Hopkins after he fought Pascal the first time."
Hopkins told RingTV.com that he expects to return to full-time training in January and would like to be back in the ring in March. Shaw said that he hoped to work out a deal for a rematch with Hopkins' promoter, Golden Boy Promotions, as soon as possible.
"According Bernard Hopkins, he's going back into training in January, and that he will be totally re-habbed by that time," said Dawson. "So I'll talk to HBO and [Golden Boy Promotions CEO] Richard Schaefer and see when the first available date is for us to do a rematch."