Bob Arum said Julio Cesar Chavez could fight Brian Vera next, and eventually, Andre Ward.
Q&A: Cotto's advisor confirms talks with Mayweather, Pacquiao
Miguel Cotto's advisor on Floyd Mayweather Jr., Manny Pacquiao: "We have discussed with both parties the possibility of a fight."
Miguel Cotto's advisor, Gaby Penagaricano, confirmed that "general" discussions have taken place with the camps of welterweight titleholders Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao regarding potential bouts against Cotto if Mayweather-Pacquiao does not come to fruition.
RingTV.com reported that WBA junior middleweight beltholder Cotto had agreed to terms, other than resolving a few minor details, that would allow for a rematch with WBO welterweight beltholder Pacquiao. An announcement could come as early as Monday.
But Penagaricano said there has been "nothing concrete yet" concerning a return bout with Pacquiao, which sources say could take place on June 9 in Las Vegas at either the Thomas & Mack Center or the MGM Grand.
Cotto has won three straight fights by knockout since being stopped in the 12th round by Pacquiao in November of 2009, and earlier this week seemed to be the frontrunner among Pacquiao's list of likely opponents, which also included Juan Manuel Marquez, Lamont Peterson and Tim Bradley.
Meanwhile, Marquez's promoter, Fernando Beltran, told RingTV.com on Friday that Marquez is targeting a rise in weight to challenge Peterson following a tuneup fight on March 17 in a newly-constructed venue in Mexico City.
All of the above depends on whether or not a deal can be worked out for Pacquiao to face Mayweather, a bout for which negotiations have failed repeatedly over a variety of issues.
Penagaricano shared his perspective below:
Bob Arum has said that repeatedly and we have certainly discussed that as a reality. But we haven't even begun to discuss any type of terms for the fight.
Photo by Chris Farina, Top Rank Inc.
Lem Satterfield can be reached at email@example.com