Bob Arum said Julio Cesar Chavez could fight Brian Vera next, and eventually, Andre Ward.
Lem's latest: Pacquiao-Bradley, Marquez-Peterson broached; Cotto eyes Mayweather - Next
Page 4 of 4
Bradley signed with Top Rank Inc. late last year in the hopes of facing Pacquiao and was promptly placed on the Pacquiao-Marquez III under card, where he scored an eighth-round knockout of former four-time titleholder and Cuban Olympic gold medalist Joel Casamayor.
MAYWEATHER OR PACQUIAO COMES DOWN TO THE MONEY, SAYS COTTO
Would Cotto rather face Pacquiao or Mayweather?
Cotto told the Puerto Rican online publication Primera Hora.com that it does not matter which of the two he faced.
"I don't have problems with facing either of the two. I think that with good preparation, with the time that we have to prepare for the fight, I can win against either of the two. What's really is going to determine it is the money offered. Money talks. I have not agreed yet with either of the sides," said Cotto.
"There's nothing official with anybody yet. There's only been conversations, but no formal proposals. Maybe in two weeks, we'll have something more concrete. I can fight with the two of them and with both of their styles. With the necessary time to prepare for them tactically, it would be the same with either of them."
SCHAEFER PREDICTED THE FOUR-MAN TOURNAMENT TWO WEEKS AGO
During an interview with RingTV.com on Jan. 13, Schaefer predicted that Arum would end up putting Pacquiao against Bradley, and Marquez against Peterson.
"What Bob wants to do is have Pacquiao fight Timothy Bradley, and he wants Juan Manuel Marquez to fight Peterson...," said Schaefer. "Let's just say that I have my sources that he wants to have Pacquiao fight Bradley. I have my sources. End of story."
MAYWEATHER HAS RE-APPLIED FOR A NEVADA STATE LICENSE
Mayweather re-applied for a Nevada license on Monday, and will have his application reviewed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Feb. 1, NSAC Executive Director, Keith Kizer, told RingTV.com on Thursday.
Although every fighter's license expires on Dec. 31 of every year, it seems a forgone conclusion that Mayweather will be re-affirmed having avoided jail time that had threatened his announced plan to return to the ring on May 5 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Mayweather is coming off of a fourth-round knockout of Victor Ortiz in September that earned him the WBC's welterweight title belt, and is awaiting a decision on the announcement of his next opponent.
MIKEY GARCIA-BERNABE CONCEPCION ON ORLANDO SALIDO-JUAN MANUEL LOPEZ CARD
Unbeaten featherweight contender Miguel "Mikey" Garcia could earn a title shot if he gets past hard-hitting Filipino Bernabe Concepcion on the Showtime-televised undercard of a rematch between WBO beltholder Orlando Salido and former titleholder Juan Manuel Lopez in Puerto Rico on March 10.
Garcia (27-0, 23 KOs) scored his sixth straight knockout -- the 12th among his past 13 fights -- in October when he dropped Juan Carlos Martinez three times before finishing him off in the fourth round.
In victory over Concepcion (29-5-1, 15 KOs), Garcia could face the winner between Salido (37-11-2, 25 KOs) and Lopez (31-1, 28 KOs).
Lopez lost his WBO belt following an eighth-round knockout loss to Salido in April of last year, but he is coming off a second-round stoppage victory over Mike Oliver in October.
Salido's knockout of Lopez was his first of three straight. Fighting as a junior lightweight in his last bout, Salido rose from knockdowns in the third and fourth rounds before scoring an eighth-round stoppage of Weng Haya.
Lopez still was the titleholder in July of 2010, when he scored a second-round stoppage of Concepcion to end a match that featured each fighter being floored in the first round and Concepcion being dropped twice in the second.
Concepcion then lost his next bout by eight-round split-decision against Martinez, but rebounded with a 10-round split-decision over Aaron Garcia in his last fight in October.
Photos by Chris Farina, Top Rank Inc.
Photo by Delane Rouse, Hogan Photos/Golden Boy Promotions
Photo by David Martin Warr, Don King Promotions
Photo by Tom Hogan, Hogan Photos/Golden Boy Promotions
Photo by Chris Farina, Top Rank Inc.