Middleweight beltholder Peter Quillin could soon defend his WBO title against promotional stablemate Danny Jacobs.
Mitchell plans to fight Banks despite rumored injury
Heavyweight prospect Seth Mitchell is planning to go ahead with his July 14 bout against Johnathon Banks despite a rumored hand injury, his manager said.
The manager of Seth "Mayhem" Mitchell said the fighter plans to go ahead with a scheduled July 14 bout against Johnathon Banks, denying an assertion by a source that the unbeaten heavyweight prospect has suffered a hand injury.
Mitchell (25-0-1, 19 knockouts) will pursue his 11th straight knockout against Banks (28-1-1, 18 KOs) in a clash of 29-year-olds that is slated for the undercard of a junior welterweight matchup featuring former IBF and WBA beltholder Amir Khan and newly-crowned WBC titlewinner Danny Garcia on HBO from the Mandalay Bay Hotel in Las Vegas.
Mitchell is coming off a third-round stoppage of Chazz Witherspoon last month, this, after having scored a second-round knockout of Timur Ibragimov in December.
"After the last fight, he checked out pretty darned good. But if he goes through training camp and there is something else, then we'll let you know. But right now, we're good," said Mitchell's manager, Brother Sharif Salim.
"Seth is an athlete. So there were some bumps and bruises from the last fight, but right now, w'ere preparing for July 14. So until further notified, that's what we're preparing to do. We're not talking about injuries or anying. The status quo remains for right now."
A traditional sparring partner for Wladimir Klitschko and Vitali Klitschko, Banks has gone 8-0-1, with four stoppages since, himself, being knockout in the eighth round by Tomasz Adamek in February of 2009.
"That's going to be a great, great double-header. An explosive double-header," said Schaefer. "Hopefully, we will have the venue wrapped up by tomorrow."
Photos by Delane Rouse, Hogan Photos, Golden Boy Promotions
Lem Satterfield can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org