Michael Koncz on Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao: "If the fans still want to see this fight, we're willing to do it."
Marquez eyes fourth bout with Pacquiao on Nov. 10
Juan Manuel Marquez on Tim Bradley-Manny Pacquiao: "I think that Pacquiao beat Bradley maybe by four points, because I had Pacquaiao winning eight rounds and Bradley winning four rounds."
Marquez (54-6-1, 39 knockouts) said that his clash with Pacquiao (54-4-2, 38 KOs) could land on the date that was slated for a rematch between Pacquiao and newly-crowned WBO welterweight titleholder Tim Bradley (29-0, 12 KOs), who dethroned Pacquiao by controversial split-decision last Saturday in Las Vegas.
Marquez said that the discussions have occurred between his Mexico-based promoter, Fernando Beltran, and Pacquiao's promoter, Top Rank CEO Bob Arum, who indicated to RingTV.com that Pacquiao might seek to face Marquez rather than a contracted return bout against Bradley.
"There's been discussion about me fighting in July, but maybe I'll fight with Manny on Nov. 10. Beltran said that, but I need to wait for Bob Arum," said Marquez.
"If Bob Arum says that I'll fight with Manny on Nov. 10, that would be great for me. I don't know what will happen. It's maybe. I'm not sure. Bob Arum said Manny might want to fight me in Mexico. That would be a great thing for me."
Marquez lost by disputed majority decision in November to Pacquiao, against whom he had battled through a draw and a split-decision loss previously.
Already the WBA junior welterweight titleholder, Marquez rebounded from the loss to Pacquiao with April's unanimous decision over Sergei Fedchenko for the WBO's interim junior welterweight belt.
Beltran has reportedly said that Pacquiao-Marquez IV will, in fact, trump a rematch with Bradley and take place either in Mexico City or Las Vegas.
"I need to see what Bob Arum says, and what Pacquiao says," said Marquez. "Pacquiao wants to fight with me in Mexico, and Bob Arum has said the same. I don't know. I need to wait. My people want to see me fight Manny again, and I'd feel very happy to do it again."
Bradly's win over Pacquiao is being investigated by the WBO, and, apparently, the attorney general of Nevada, and Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director, Keith Kizer, told RingTV.com that he will review the fight with the three judges.
Marquez told RingTV.com that he scored the fight in favor of Pacquiao.
"I think that Pacquiao beat Bradley maybe by four points, because I had Pacquiao winning eight rounds and Bradley winning four rounds," said Marquez. "I gave Bradley maybe round two, maybe the sixth round and the last two rounds -- round 11 and round 12."
Pacquiao's advisor, Michael Koncz, said the fighter has not made any decision about his next fight, although he acknowledged that Marquez, Bradley and three-division titlewinner Miguel Cotto are all "options."
Cotto (37-0, 30 knockouts) is coming off a unanimous decision loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr. (43-0, 26 KOs), who added Cotto's WBC junior middleweight belt to the WBC welterweight crown he already owned last month.
Cotto had scored three straight stoppage victories since being dethroned as WBO welterweight beltholder by 12th-round knockout against Pacquiao in November of 2010, including December's 10th-round stoppage of Antonio Margarito to avenge the first loss of his career.
"Manny could fight Cotto again at a different weight. We could fight Marquez again. We've got other options. We haven't sat down to decide what order he wants to put the fights in or who we want to fight," said Koncz of Pacquiao, whose 15-bout winning streak that includes eight stoppages was ended by Bradley.
"We have options. We have many options. We haven't confirmed anything. We're going on vacation, and then we're going to decide what we're going to do. We haven't even looked at it. We've got options that we can exercise with various fighters."
Photo by Chris Farina, Top Rank
Photo by Naoki Fukuda
Lem Satterfield can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org