Middleweight beltholder Peter Quillin could soon defend his WBO title against promotional stablemate Danny Jacobs.
Lem's latest: Rahman pulls out of Povetkin clash
Hasim Rahman has pulled out of a scheduled clash with WBA heavyweight titleholder Alexander Povetkin due to a cyst on his right wrist.
Former light heavyweight titleholder, Eddie Mustafa Muhammad, the trainer of former two-time heavyweight beltholder Hasim Rahman, confirmed that the fighter has had to pull out of a scheduled July 14, EPIX-televised clash with WBA "regular" beltholder Alexander Povetkin due to a cyst on his right wrist.
Muhammad said that Rahman (50-7-2, 41 knockouts) had the cyst removed during a Thursday morning surgery, but that the problem is severe enough to prevent him from facing Povetkin (24-0, 16 KOs).
"The cyst was in the wrist area, and what happened was we kept debating. I told him that we had to go to the doctor and have it looked at before we go over there to Germany," said Muhammad, referring to the fact that Povetkin-Rahman was to take place in Hamburg, Germany.
"So he went to the doctor a couple of days ago and had it X-rayed, and the results came back a day or two later. That's when the called him up and told him what it was, and it was a big cyst. Every time that he threw the right hand, it hurt. He was favoring it and he kept rubbing it."
The division is dominated by the Ukrainian Klitscho brothers, including Wladimir's older brother, Vitali, holder of the WBC's crown. Wladimir Klitschko has the WBA's "super" title as well as the IBF and WBO belts.
Rahman, 39, was stopped in the seventh round by Klitschko in December of 2008, but has scored five straight knockouts and is coming off a sixth-round knockout of Glen Brown in June of last year.
Rahman dethroned Lennox Lewis as undisputed champion by fifth-round knockout in April of 2001 only to lose the crown by fourth-round stoppage seven month later in November.
Puerto Rican-American John Ruiz, the first Latino to win a heavyweight belt, held the WBA title from 2001 to 2005.
It is unclear who will now meet Povetkin, 32, who is coming off a disputed majority decision over cruiserweight titleholder Marco Huck in February.
TOMASZ ADAMEK TO RETURN ON SEPT. 8 TO THE PRUDENTIAL CENTER
Former light heavyweight and cruiserweight titleholder Tomasz Adamek (46-2, 28 KOs) has targeted a Sept. 8 return to the ring at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., Main Events President, Kathy Duva, confirmed on Thursday.
A 35-year-old native of Zywiec, Poland who lives in Kearny, N.J., Adamek will be back at the site of his last victory, a unanimous decision over heavyweight contender Eddie Chambers on June 16.
Adamek will be after his third straight victory against an opponent to be determined, having last suffered defeat by 10th-round stoppage against Vitali Klitschko in September of last year.
"The fight is going to take place in the afternoon, which is prime time in Poland at night. So it's going to take place on pay per view in Poland, and we hope to announce the opponent sometime early next week, if not, sooner," said Duva.
"It's not going to be broadcast here at this point, but maybe it will be. The main event should be starting here somewhere around 5 or 6 p.m. our time. I have to work that out with the Polish stations."
Photo by Mike Greenhill
Lem Satterfield can be reached at email@example.com