A Saturday press conference is in the works for smack-talkers Adrien Broner and Paulie Malignaggi.
Tarver still has plenty of time to appeal
Antonio Tarver still has time to appeal the California State Athletic Commission's year-long suspension for a positive test for the banned steroid drostanolone following the former light heavyweight champ's draw with Lateef Kayode.
Former light heavyweight titleholder Antonio Tarver has 30 days from June 20 to appeal the year-long suspension imposed by the California State Athletic Commission as a result of his positive test for the banned anabolic steroid drostanolone, CSAC executive director George Dodd informed RingTV.com on Monday.
"Nothing has come through yet," said Dodd. "But he has 30 days from the date of notice."
A regular Showtime commentator, Tarver came up dirty following a post-fight drug test administered by the CSAC after his draw with Lateef Kayode on June 2 at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif.
Tarver was suspended for a year and fined $2,500 of the $1.1 million purse he earned for facing Kayode. In addition, Tarver-Kayode will be "reflected as a no-decision," said Dodd.
Dodd identified the banned substance as drostanolone, adding that Tarver's "A sample came back positive." Dodd also stated that Tarver can "witness the opening of the 'B' sample," and that a determination on Tarver's future would be based on whether or not Tarver's B sample returns negative.
Dodd said that Tarver can appeal that the testing was flawed, appeal for a shorter sentence or appeal for a lesser fine.
Although Tarver has declined interviews through e-mails to his publicist, he indicated on his Twitter account last week that he planned to appeal the CSAC's decision.
"Today's news of a false positive caught me as well as my family and supporters by surprise, I apologize for the embarrassment it caused," wrote Tarver. "I'll appeal and submit to the California Commission everything that I've consume prior to June 2 that could of caused this honest mistake."
A boxing broadcaster, Tarver did not work his customary role for a June 23 Showtime-televised main event during which Josesito Lopez upset ex-welterweight titleholder Victor Ortiz by ninth-round knockout at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.
"Out of respect for the fighters competing on Saturday night, Antonio and the network have mutually agreed that he will not serve as color analyst for the June 23rd boxing telecast," wrote Showtime Sports publicist Chris DeBlasio in a statement e-mailed to RingTV.com on June 22.