Middleweight beltholder Peter Quillin could soon defend his WBO title against promotional stablemate Danny Jacobs.
Lem's latest: Dunkin wants Salido vs. Garcia, Marquez vs. Rios
Manager Cameron Dunkin's plan for Mikey Garcia is to match him against Orlando Salido in the fall, while the hope for Brandon Rios is a fight with Juan Manuel Marquez.
Mexican titleholder Orlando Salido will face Moises Gutierrez in Tepic, Mexico, on Saturday night with long range plans to match him opposite featherweight contender Miguel "Mikey" Garcia in the fall, according to Garcia's manager, Cameron Dunkin.
Salido (38-11-2, 26 knockouts), who holds the WBO's featherweight title, is coming off the second of two stoppage wins over Juan Manuel Lopez (31-2, 28 KOs), the first of which earned him the belt.
Gutierrez (21-4, 8 KOs), who is 33, has won four straight, two by knockout, since losing a six-round split-decision to Oscar Bravo (20-3, 9 KOs) a year ago in July.
Although Garcia (28-0, 24 KOs) was initially meant to be on the Salido-Gutierrez undercard, he will instead wait to face Salido.
Top Rank CEO Bob Arum had told RingTV.com that his goal was to place Salido-Garcia on the undercard of a Nov. 10 main event featuring Manny Pacquiao, who is reportedly considering rematches for that date opposite current WBO welterweight beltholder Tim Bradley or four-division titlewinner Juan Manuel Marquez.
"He'll fight Salido, probably in October," said Dunkin. "But nothing's for sure. Top Rank has been talking about several places."
DUNKIN WANTS MARQUEZ FOR BRANDON RIOS
Dunkin also manages former lightweight titleholder Brandon Rios (30-0-1, 22 KOs), whom he would like to match against Marquez or a fighter of equal stature.
Rios is coming off a controversial split-decision over Richard Abril in April, following an 11th-round knockout of John Murray in December.
Marquez, meanwhile, rebounded from a controversial majority decision loss to Pacquiao in November with a unanimous decision over Sergei Fedchenko for the WBO's interim junior welterweight belt in April.
"I would love a Marquez fight or something like that for Brandon," said Dunkin. "(It) would be something to motivate him again and to get him going again," said Dunkin.
BRADLEY'S VACATIONING, RECOVERING, WAITING FOR PACQUIAO
Dunkin also manages Bradley (29-0, 12 KOs), who is coming off last month's split-decision victory that dethroned Pacquiao as WBO welterweight beltholder.
Bradley has vacated the WBO junior welterweight crown, and is looking toward a return bout with Pacquiao. In the meantime, Bradley is vacationing with his family in Hawaii, and then could visit Washington, D.C., according to Dunkin.
"We're going to see what Pacquiao says, and then we'll go from there. But I'm going to get him a fight either way, no matter what," said Dunkin of Bradley, who ended a 15-bout winning streak that had included eight knockouts by Pacquiao (54-4-2, 38 KOs).
"Whatever is the best fight. We're going to fight on HBO, and Top Rank and HBO will have a say in it. Tim's willing to fight, and we know that. He'll fight anybody. We'll look to see who is the best available opponent."
Dunkin also said that he is looking for a fall return for former undisputed middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik (40-2, 34 KOs), who dropped his man in the second round of his most recent victory -- a narrow unanimous decision over Will Rosinsky on July 7.
"Kelly's going to fight in a regular place," said Dunkin. "Probably at the end of October or November, even December, just depending on which dates come up."
GENNADY GOLOVKIN-GRZEGORZ PROKSA SET FOR SEPT. 1 IN NEW YORK
WBA middleweight titleholder Gennady Golovkin (23-0, 20 KOs) will defend his belt against Polish southpaw Grzegorz Proksa (28-1, 21 KOs) in an HBO-televised clash on Sept. 1 from The Turning Stone Casino in Oeida, N.Y., Golovkin's promoter, Tom Loeffler, of K2 Promotions, informed RingTV.com.
"Everything from the Golovkin side has been agreed upon," said Loeffler. "So we're looking forward to Gennady fighting Proksa on Sept. 1."
Golovkin-Proksa is being co-promoted by Artie Pelullo of Banner Promotions and Gary Shaw, and will feature an undercard matchup between former WBO junior middleweight titleholder Sergei Dzinziruk (37-1, 24 KOs) and Jonathan Gonzalez (15-0, 13 KOs).
Proksa emerged in the wake of a back injury that forced Golovkin's WBO counterpart, Dmitry Pirog (20-0, 15 KOs), to pull out of their initially-planned bout. Proksa is coming off an eighth-round knockout of Kerry Hope on July 7 that avenged his only loss.
ALEXANDER USTINOV-KUBRAT PULEV WINNER TO FACE WLADIMIR KLITSCHKO?
In addition, the IBF has sanctioned an eliminator bout between Alexander Ustinov (27-0, 21 KOs), who is handled by Loeffler, and Kubrat Pulev (16-0, 8 KOs), of Sauerland Promotions, to determine the organization's mandatory challenger for RING heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko (58-3, 51 KOs), Loeffler and IBF president Daryl Peoples informed RingTV.com.
"The IBF has sanctioned Ustinov to fight Pulev in an eliminator for the No. 1 mandatory spot. We have Ustinov and Sauerland has Pulev," said Loeffler. "We're still negotiating right now, so nothing has been finalized, but that's what been sanctioned. That would be over in Europe sometime in late September or October."
A 36-year-old holder of the IBF, WBA and WBO belts, Klitschko is coming off a sixth-round knockout of Tony "The Tiger" Thompson in a July 7 rematch of Klitschko's 11th-round stoppage of Thompson in July of 2008. Thompson was rated No. 2 by the IBF before losing to Klitschko, and the organization's No. 1 spot is not occupied.
Ranked Nos. 3 and 6, respectively, by the IBF, Pulev and Ustinov were to be part of a four-man eliminator tournament that was also to include No. 4 Tomasz Adamek (46-2, 28 KOs) and No. 5 Odlanier Solis (18-1, 12 KOs).
In accordance with the format, Adamek was to face Ustinov, and Pulev was to meet Sollis.
"We already had a commitment for Tomasz to fight on Sept. 8, and we were trying to move it to a date that would accommodate Ustinov, but then we found out that even if we moved it, there was a question as to whether or not this guy could get a visa in time," said Main Events President, Kathy Duva.
"It takes six to eight weeks to get a visa, and the fight is just eight weeks away. So we can't schedule a fight and then end up waiting until the week of the fight to see if this guy could even get a visa. So we just decided to move on and just live up to the current commitment that we already had."
GABRIEL ROSADO-CHARLES WHITTAKER WINNER TO FACE CORNELIUS BUNDRAGE
A bid of $10,000 was enough for Main Events to win Thursday's IBF junior middleweight purse bid and the right to promote an eliminator bout between Philadelphia's Gabriel Rosado (20-5, 12 KOs) and Miami's Charles Whittaker (38-12-2, 23 KOs), the winner of which would be in line to challenge titleholder Cornelius Bundrage (32-4, 19 KOs).
Rosado, 26, has won six straight fights, four of them by knockout, and Whittaker, 14 consecutive bouts, eight of them by stoppage.
"We're going to do the fight in September, but we need to see this guy sign the contract. Rosado is not a problem, we just need for Whittaker to sign. We haven't heard anything back from their people about sending the contract yet," said Duva.
"The IBF still has to decide on the purse bid split, so I guess that we really can't send the contract out until we get that. As soon as we get that contract back, we'll let everyone know when and where the fight's going to be."
Photo by Miguel Salazar
Photo by Naoki Fukuda
Photo by Chris Farina, Top Rank
Photo / K2 Ukraine
Photos by KMG Management
Lem Satterfield can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org