Bob Arum said Julio Cesar Chavez could fight Brian Vera next, and eventually, Andre Ward.
Advisor: Pacquiao will fight on Dec. 1
Manny Pacquiao's advisor, Michael Koncz, says that the fighter will return to the ring on Dec. 1 rather than Nov. 10.
Eight-division title-winner Manny Pacquiao will have his next fight on Dec. 1 as opposed to Nov. 10 and he will do so against an opponent and at a site to be determined, according to Pacquiao's advisor, Michael Koncz, who corroborated an earlier report.
"We've informed Top Rank that we can not go on Nov. 10," said Koncz, referring to the planned return date for a bout that was to take place at MGM Grand in Las Vegas and had been reserved with Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director Keith Kizer.
"So [Top Rank CEO] Bob Arum has moved the date now to Dec. 1, and he's done that at our request due to conflicting schedules with the boxing and Manny's personal affairs."
Koncz said that he and Top Rank CEO Bob Arum met with Pacquiao starting soon after Aug. 6 in the Philippines, where Pacquiao (54-4-2, 38 knockouts) considered rematches with either WBO welterweight titleholder Tim Bradley, four-division title-winner Juan Manuel Marquez or three-division belt-winner Miguel Cotto.
Cotto has been slated for a return date of Dec. 1 at Madison Square Garden, according to Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions. But Koncz said that Cotto, along with the other boxers still are under consideration, even after a New York meeting with Arum on Monday.
"I met with Bob Arum in New York yesterday and had further discussions," said Koncz. "We talked about Bradley, Cotto and Marquez, but we have not selected an opponent. I will relay those discussions to Manny within the next day or two."
Bradley could get another shot at Pacquiao after winning by controversial split-decision in June to end Pacquiao's 15-bout winning streak that included eight stoppages.
Arum has hinted that Pacquiao might seek to face Marquez rather than a contracted return bout against Bradley. Marquez lost by disputed majority decision in November to Pacquiao, against whom he had battled through a draw and a split-decision loss previously.
Already the WBA junior welterweight titleholder, Marquez rebounded from the loss to Pacquiao with April's unanimous decision over Sergei Fedchenko for the WBO's interim junior welterweight belt.
Cotto is coming off a unanimous decision loss to five-division, eight belt-winner Floyd Mayweather Jr., who added Cotto's WBA junior middleweight belt to the WBC welterweight crown he already owned in May.
Cotto had scored three straight stoppage victories since losing by 12th-round knockout to Pacquiao in November of 2010, including December's 10th-round stoppage of Antonio Margarito to avenge the first loss of his career.
Photo by Chris Farina, Top Rank
Lem Satterfield can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org