Bob Arum said Julio Cesar Chavez could fight Brian Vera next, and eventually, Andre Ward.
Salido-Garcia, Lara-Martirosyan set for Nov. 10 on HBO
Unbeaten featherweight contender Miguel "Mikey" Garcia will challenge WBO beltholder Orlando Salido on Nov. 10 at The Wynn Hotel in Las Vegas on HBO.
Mexico's WBO featherweight titleholder Orlando Salido will defend his belt against unbeaten Miguel "Mikey" Garcia, and undefeated junior middleweight Vanes Martirosyan will face southpaw amateur world champion Erislandy Lara in a WBC eliminator bout in an HBO-televised double-header on Nov. 10 from The Wynn Hotel in Las Vegas, according to Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director, Keith Kizer.
"We have the Top Rank show on Nov. 10, and, of course that's the one with Mikey Garcia and Orlando Salido, and the co-main event is Lara and Martirosyan," said Kizer, citing a notification by Top Rank. "So that's Nov. 10 at The Wynn, and that will be an HBO Boxing After Dark show."
Kizer confirmed information previously reported to RingTV.com by Top Rank CEO Bob Arum on Sept. 15, the same day RING middleweight champion Sergio Martinez dethroned Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. as WBC titleholder by unanimous decision on HBO Pay Per View-televised at the Thomas and Mack Center.
Salido is 39-11-2, with 27 knockouts, and Garcia, 29-0 with 25 KOs, while Martirosyan is 32-0, with 20 KOs, and Lara is 17-1-1 with 11 stoppage wins.
The winner between Martirosyan and Lara, who is handled by Golden Boy, would become the mandatory challenger to face beltholder Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (41-0-1, 30 KOs), who is coming off a fifth-round knockout of Josesito Lopez (30-5, 18 KOs) on Sept. 15 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Photo by Miguel Salazar
Lem Satterfield can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org