Middleweight beltholder Peter Quillin could soon defend his WBO title against promotional stablemate Danny Jacobs.
Garcia-Judah done for Jan. 19 possibly at Barclays Center
THE RING, WBA and WBC junior welterweight champion Danny Garcia is set to face Zab Judah, a former six-time titleholder, in a Showtime-televised headliner on Jan. 19. A return to Barclays Center in Brooklyn is a consideration, but not a certainty.
A deal has been finalized to match RING, WBA and WBC junior welterweight champion Danny Garcia in a Showtime-televised bout against ex-titleholder Zab Judah potentially at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, according to Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer.
"We have finalized the terms for a fight between Danny Garcia and Zab Judah," said Schaefer of Garcia, who headlined the first-ever boxing event at Barclays Center in Brooklyn last month. "It's going to be on Jan. 19 on Showtime, and I'm currently holding the Barclays Center."
Schaefer said the event is likely to be a triple-header.
A 25-year-old who scored a Showtime-televised fourth-round stoppage of Erik Morales in an Oct. 20 rematch of his unanimous decision victory in March, Garcia (25-0, 16 knockouts) had been targeted for a return to the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, site of last month's win over Morales.
A southpaw who turned 35 on Oct. 27, Judah (42-7, 29 KOs) had been mentioned as a potential opponent for Garcia at the press conference following the win over Morales.
Once the RING, WBA, WBC and IBF welterweight titleholder as well as the WBO and IBF junior welterweight beltholder, Judah was last in the ring in March, when he stopped previously undefeated Vernon Paris in the ninth round of their NBC Sports Net-televised bout. Judah, a Brooklyn native, was ringside for Garcia-Morales II.
The knockout of Morales followed Garcia's fourth-round stoppage Amir Khan in July, which added the RING and WBA belts to his collection.
Judah will represent Garcia's sixth consecutive bout against a current or former world titleholder following consecutive decisions over ex-beltholders Nate Campbell and Kendall Holt in April and October of last year, respectively.
Schaefer said that middleweight Peter Quillin (28-0, 20 KOs) will also be on the card against an opponent to be determined.
Quillin, 29, is coming off a unanimous decision win that dethroned WBO 160-pound titleholder Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam (27-1, 17 KOs), whom Quillin dropped six times on the Garcia-Morales II undercard.
Photos by Tom Casino, Showtime
Lem Satterfield can be reached at email@example.com