Middleweight beltholder Peter Quillin could soon defend his WBO title against promotional stablemate Danny Jacobs.
Geale-Mundine II slated for Jan. 30 in Australia
Australian IBF middleweight titleholder Daniel Geale will try to avenge his lone defeat against countryman Anthony Mundine on Jan. 30.
Australian IBF middleweight titleholder Daniel Geale will face countryman and three-time titleholder Anthony Mundine in a Jan. 30 rematch of Mundine's split-decision victory over Geale in May of 2009.
"In all my years in boxing, this is the biggest fight in Australian boxing history, and we are delighted to be able to bring it to Sydney," said Gary Shaw, who is promoting the bout in association with Grange Old School Boxing and Black Venom Promotions.
"This city has a proud history of staging big fights and let me assure you they don't get bigger than this. Daniel Geale is considered to be, by many, one of the best middleweights in the World after winning two world titles from German fighters on German soil. Daniel is desperate to avenge his controversial loss to Mundine in 2009."
Since falling to Mundine (44-4, 26 knockouts), whom he will meet at The Sydney Entertainment Centre, Geale (28-1, 15 KOs) has won seven straight fights, two of them by knockout, including a split-decision triumph over Germany's Sebastian Sylvester for the IBF belt in May of last year.
Geale defended that crown three times -- the last win being a unification victory which dethroned Germany's Felix Sturm as the WBA's "super" strap holder in September.
"I'm happy we are able to move forward with the promotion now that we have a date and venue sorted. The Sydney Entertainment Centre is a fantastic place to hold this fight," said Geale.
But in what was called by Shaw "a short-sighted move," Geale was stripped of the WBA's "super champion" status for electing to face Mundine while Kazakhstan-born counterpart Gennady Golovkin (24-0, 21 KOs) was named the organization's sole beltholder -- this after the WBA had ruled that the winner of Geale-Sturm had to face the winner between Golovkin and Grzegorz Proksa by Dec. 31.
Golovkin scored September's fifth-round knockout of Proksa, who stopped Sylvester (34-5-1, 16 KOs) in the third round in October of last year.
"For Mundine, this is an opportunity to not only claim a fourth world title, but also, to put on a show for the millions of fans who will be watching this fight around the globe," said Shaw.
"This is a once in a life time fight that will captivate not only fans in Sydney, but across Australia and the rest of the world. I'd like to thank Destination NSW for their support in bringing this fight to Sydney and look forward to working together to ensure the event becomes a truly memorable sporting event."
Tuesday's announcement marks a homecoming for Mundine, who will fight in the venue for the eighth time.
Lem Satterfield can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org