Middleweight beltholder Peter Quillin could soon defend his WBO title against promotional stablemate Danny Jacobs.
Alvarez, Mayweather, Hopkins, Mosley in Golden Boy 2013 plans
Fights involving multi-belt winners Floyd Mayweather, Bernard Hopkins and Shane Mosley are part of the plans of Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer for the year 2013.
The returns of Bernard Hopkins and Floyd Mayweather in March and May, respectively, could be sandwiched around the comeback in April of Shane Mosley opposite WBA welterweight beltholder Paulie Malignaggi if things go as Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer intends during the year 2013.
Schaefer went over his tentative plans for next year with RingTV.com on Wednesday.
Jan. 26: Schaefer is looking to match THE RING's No. 1-rated junior welterweight Lucas Matthysse against Henry Lundy, as well as once-beaten welterweight Selcuk Aydin against Jesus Soto Karass as part of a Showtime-televised tripleheader. The third fight will be determined later.
"We'll have Matthysse-Lundy and Aydin-Soto Karass but the third fight, we're still working on, and I can't report that yet," Schaefer said of the card that was originally scheduled to be on Jan. 19 at the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles. "That date has been moved from Jan. 19 to Jan. 26 and we are looking for the site."
Feb. 9: At Barclays Center in Brooklyn, former champ Zab Judah will challenge RING, WBA and WBC junior welterweight champ Danny Garcia. The undercard bouts include the first defense by newly-crowned WBO middleweight beltholder Peter Quillin and 160-pound prospect Danny Jacobs, with former undisputed champion Jermain Taylor being among the names discussed for Quillin.
"[Golden Boy matchmaker] Eric [Gomez] is working on the opponents for Quillin and Jacobs," said Schaefer, of the Showtime event. "[Taylor] is one of the names being discussed, but that is not finalized. I'm actually going to be meeting on Monday with Al Haymon, and we're going to go through all of that."
Targeted for Showtime Extreme prior to Garcia-Judah is a junior middleweight special attraction featuring Hector Camacho Jr. against Dmitry Salita that will "somehow have a tribute to Hector Camacho Sr. as well," said Schaefer, referring to the boxer who died last month.
Feb. 16: Schaefer said that a potential lightweight unification deal matching WBC beltholder Adrien "The Problem" Broner and WBO titleholder Ricky Burns at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City "might not happen."
"I'm working on that date," said Schaefer of Broner-Burns, intended to headline an HBO doubleheader to include a rematch between heavyweights Johnathon Banks and Seth "Mayhem" Mitchell. "But, in fact, it might not even happen. Adrien might not even fight on that date, so that's far from being done."
Feb. 23 or March 2: Originally scheduled for Jan. 19 before an apparent injury was suffered by unbeaten Englishman Kell Brook, the Showtime-televised clash with IBF welterweight titleholder Devon Alexander could take place on either date, according to Schaefer.
When it happens, Alexander-Brook is to be complimented by an IBF junior middleweight title defense by Cornelius Bundrage against veteran Ishe Smith, as well as a third fight intended to match newly-crowned WBA interim junior welterweight beltholder Khabib Allakhverdiev against an opponent to be determined.
"It will be a tripleheader on Showtime featuring Devon Alexander and Kell Brook and Bundrage vs. Ishe Smith," said Schaefer. "And there will be a third world title fight which I can not disclose yet because we're in the process of finalizing it. It will be Khabib defending his title."
March 9: Former RING light heavyweight and middleweight champ Hopkins will return to the ring at Barclays Center in Brooklyn with three current 175-pound titleholders Nathan Cleverly (WBO), Beibut Shumenov (WBA),or Tavoris Cloud (IBF) eyed as potential opponents.
With a win, Hopkins, who will turn 48 in January, could eclipse his own record as the oldest man to win a significant crown, a feat the Philadelphia native accomplished at the age of 46 with a unanimous decision over Jean Pascal for the WBC's light heavyweight belt in May of last year.
On the Hopkins undercard, Schaefer will match Puerto Rican featherweight prospect Jayson Velez, who is 20-0 with 15 knockouts and coming off last month's third-round stoppage of Salvador "Sal II" Sanchez II, against WBC beltholder Daniel Ponce de Leon.
"The fight for Bernard Hopkins, I don't have that finalized yet," said Schaefer. "But what I do have finalized is the opening bout between Daniel Ponce de Leon defending his world title against Jayson Velez of Puerto Rico, which will be a helluva fight from the Barclays Center."
Sometime in March, Schaefer said he plans to match unbeaten lightweight contender Sharif "The Lion" Bogere and Richard Abril in a clash for the WBA's belt, this, after Bogere suffered a partial tear of the left Achilles tendon that forced him out of last month's scheduled bout against Abril.
"I met with Bogere's manager today, and remember we had that fight scheduled," said Schaefer. "But then, Bogere got injured, and so we are working on the rescheduling date for that matching Richard Abril and Sharif Bogere for the WBA world title."
April 13: From Staples Center in Los Angeles, "I have a pretty good idea of who is going to fight there," said Schaefer, "but I'm just in the process of finalizing everything."
April 27: Three-division titleholder Shane Mosley could return to the ring for the first time since losing by unanimous decision to unbeatten WBC junior middleweight beltholder Saul "Canelo" Alvarez in May, and to the 147-pound division for the first time since falling the same way to Manny Pacquiao in May of last year if a deal is made for the 41-year-old to face WBA welterweight titleholder Paulie Malignaggi at Barclays Center.
"From the Barclays Center on Showtime, it will be Paulie Malignaggi and it's going to be a triple-header," said Schaefer. "And it might be, if we can get it done, what is being discussed is the return of Sugar Shane Mosley."
May 4: Both Alvarez and Mayweather have targeted this date for their returns at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, in addition to each boxer having said that he wants to fight on Sept. 14. The dates fall on the two traditional Mexican holiday weekends -- Cinco De Mayo and Mexican Independence Day.
"Obviously, that's going to be the return of the pound-for-pound king, Floyd Mayweather. We already know that, and he's already announced that, so I'm currently working on his opponent. I have met with Canelo Alvarez as well, and he has told us what he wants, so we're going to be working on that," said Schaefer.
"But I can not make any comments on what exactly it will be, or who it will be, or what's going to happen. We're looking at potentially a few different options for either one of those guys, and I'm just diligently working toward finalizing everything. My assumptions are that I should have everything finalized by the end of the year, maybe the first week of January."
June 8: Although he is coming off of a unanimous decision loss to undefeated WBA junior middleweight titleholder Austin Trout on Dec. 1, three-division titlewinner Miguel Cotto could be involved on this date either as a promoter or a fighter at Barclays Center, said Schaefer.
"We're holding the Barclays Center in New York, and that's the weekend of the Puerto Rican Day Parade. So we'll see what's going to be there," said Schaefer.
"But we're definitely going to be working with Miguel Cotto on that date. It might be working with him as a fighter, or it might be working with him as a promoter. We don't know yet. But we do know that Miguel, in one form or the other, will be involved in the process, as well as Miguel Cotto Promotions."
June 15: In September, Alvarez's fifth-round stoppage of Josesito Lopez drew a live gate of more than $1 million at the MGM Grand as the headliner to "Knockout Kings," an event which offered a bonus to the fighter who scored the most spectacular stoppage.
"At the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, we are going to do Knockout Kings II on June 15," said Schaefer. "That's basically a series of toe-to-toe fights, and it will be a quadrupleheader, and we'll see if it's going to be a pay per view, or it's going to be a live show, I don't know yet."
Three months ago, Alvarez scored three knockdowns against Lopez and was granted a $100,000 bonus from Golden Boy as a reward for the evening's best knockout.
Also on the undercard, hard-punching Argentine Marcos Maidana scored an eighth-round technical knockout over welterweight rival Karass, whom he dropped in the seventh round.
In a mild upset, Ponce de Leon emerged victorious to dethrone WBC beltholder Jhonny Gonzalez via eighth-round unanimous technical decision victory that ended Gonzalez's 12-fight winning streak which had included 11 knockouts.
Santa Cruz, Maidana and Ponce de Leon were each granted an extra $25,000 to their purses for their efforts.
Photo by Tom Hogan, Hogan Photos, Golden Boy
Phobo by Esther Lin, Showtime
Photo by Tom Hogan, Hogan Photos, Golden Boy
Photo by Tom Casino
Photo by Naoki Fukuda
Photo by Tom Casino, Showtime
Lem Satterfield can be reached at email@example.com