Middleweight beltholder Peter Quillin could soon defend his WBO title against promotional stablemate Danny Jacobs.
Lem's latest: Jacobs begins philanthropic program
Once-beaten junior middleweight and cancer-survivor Danny Jacobs has begun a foundation geared toward benefitting cancer support and attacking issues with obesity and bullying.
Middleweight contender Danny Jacobs, of Brooklyn, who has nicknamed himself, "The Miracle Man" after having overcome paralysis caused by a large malignant tumor on his spine, has launched a philanthropic foundation entitled, "Get In The Ring" that is meant, in part, to help to combat the disease.
"I started the Get in the Ring foundation because I personally saw the hardships people go through when I was first diagnosed with cancer," said Jacobs, a 25-year-old with record of 24-1 that includes 21 knockouts.
"I didn't have health insurance and it was very difficult financially. I decided then that if I ever made it, I would help people who are less fortunate, especially kids. Now that I'm in a position where I can help, I feel that it's my duty."
The foundation's mission will be threefold, focusing on: cancer support, obesity and bullying. The three causes are close to Jacobs' heart, and the boxer plans to raise funds and awareness for each of them as well as using his own life experiences to connect with and uplift others.
"It feels good to give back, especially to people who are going through the same things that I went through," said Jacobs. "Cancer is hard on everyone, the whole family, and if I can help, I would love to do it."
Growing up in the Brownsville neighborhood of Brooklyn, Jacobs saw the impact that poor dietary habits can have on a community, and the difficulties low-income families face to put healthy food on the table.
After having a run-in with a bully as a child, Jacobs found the sport of boxing, and he wants to help give young people the skills and confidence that he found.
Jacobs won the fight of his life outside of the boxing ring last year, defying doctors' predictions that he would never fight again.
In December, Jacobs won his second fight since returning from his ring absence by scoring a Showtime-televised knockout over Chris "The Irish Ghost" Fitzpatrick (15-3, 6 KOs), of Cleveland, who retired on his stool prior to the sixth round on undercard to the main event featuring WBA junior middleweight beltholder Austin Trout's unanimous decision over three-division titlewinner Miguel Cotto at New York's Madison Square Garden.
Jacobs was coming off October's 73-second knockout of Josh Luteran on the first boxing show at Barclays Center in Brooklyn on the undercard of a main event featuring Erik Morales being knocked out in the fourth round of a rematch with Danny Garcia.
Jacobs' anticipated return is slated for Feb. 9 on Showtime from Barclays Center in Brooklyn, where the main event featuring former champ Zab Judah's challenge for the RING, WBA and WBC junior welterweight championships of Danny Garcia (25-0, 16 KOs).
On the Showtime Extreme portion of the card, Brookklyn's Dmitry Salita (30-1-1, 18 KOs) will fight at 152 pounds opposite Hector Camacho Jr. in an event that will "somehow have a tribute to Hector Camacho Sr. as well," said Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer.
Other undercard fights will include the New York professional debut of Staten Island's 2012 United States Olympian Marcus Browne in a four-round light heavyweight fight as well as junior middleweight Boyd Melson (10-1-1, 4 KOs), of White Plains, N.Y.
PURSE BID SCHEDULED FOR JAN. 29 BILLY DIB-LUIS FRANCO FIGHT
A purse bid has been scheduled for Jan. 29 for the right to promote a March 1 clash between Australian IBF featherweight beltholder Billy Dib (35-1, 21 KOs) and Cuban Luis Franco (11-1, 7 KOs), of Miami, according to IBF Public Relations director, Jeanette Salazar, and IBF Championships Chairman Lindsay Tucker.
The contracts have not yet been received, said Salazar.
"We have a Purse Bid scheduled for January 29, 2013," wrote Tucker in an e-mail to RingTV.com. "No one from either camp has contacted me about an agreement."
DEMETRIUS ANDRADE MEETS FERNANDO GUERRERO ON FRIDAY
QUILLIN TRAINED WITH FLOYD MAYWEATHER SR. TO 'DESTROY' GUERRERO
Quillin, 29, is coming off October's unanimous decision win that dethroned previously unbeaten Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam, whom Quillin dropped six times on the Garcia-Morales II undercard.
"I train to destroy anybody in the ring with me. I steadily moved up the ladder and won the WBO title in one of the Fights of the Year. Two undefeated guys were fighting for the world title, and that's why boxing is so special. You can always look back at fights and find things you can do better: Throw more punches, especially jabs, apply added pressure, and move my head more. The key is learning more, and knowledge is power. I went to Las Vegas and worked a little with The Grandmaster, Floyd Mayweather Sr., to work on my defense," said Quillin.
OSCAR MOLINA RETURNS TO THE RING ON JAN. 26
JOEL DIAZ JR. FACES IN A CLASH OF UNBEATENS
Junior lightweight Joel Diaz Jr. (11-0, 10 KOs), of Palmdale, Calif., will return to the ring Feb. 8 against Canada's Tyler Asselstine (12-0, 7 KOs), at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, on ESPN2's "Friday Night Fights"
KARL DARGAN SIGNS WITH MAIN EVENTS
Main Events has announced the signing of Karl "Dynamite" Dargan (11-0, 6 KOs), of Philadelphia, to an exclusive promotional contract.
ANDRE DIRRELL TO RETURN ON FEB. 2
Switch-hitting super middleweight contender Andre Dirrell (20-1, 14 KOs), who is 29, will return to the ring for the first time since scoring a second-round knockout of Darryl Cunningham in December of 2011 on Feb. 2 at the Convention Center in McAllen, Tex.
A 2004 Olympic bronze medalist, Dirrell won by disqualification over Germany's ex-beltholder Arthur Abraham in March of 2010 in the second round of the Showtime's Super Six World Super Middleweight Classic.
That bout ended in controversy when Abraham was disqualified after punching Dirrell -- who was far ahead on the cards -- while he was down in the 11th round. Dirrell then exited the tournament, citing neurological issues.
Prior to facing Abraham, Dirrell had lost a split-decision to current IBF titleholder Carl Froch in October of 2009.
Photo by Ed Mulholland, Fightwireimages.com
Photo by Naoki Fukuda
Lem Satterfield can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org