Middleweight beltholder Peter Quillin could soon defend his WBO title against promotional stablemate Danny Jacobs.
Lem's latest: All-Access: Canelo vs.Trout Preview
"I'm going to win. Without a doubt, I'm going to win. This fight is personal because Trout beat my brother," Saul Alvarez said of his April 20 championship match with Austin Trout in Showtime's All-Access: Canelo vs. Trout Preview.
Showtime, Online Sport.Sho.Com and Showtime Sports Youtube channel are all airing an All-Access: Canelo vs. Trout Preview in advance of the April 20 clash of unbeatens between WBC counterpart Saul "Canelo" Alvarez and southpaw Austin Trout that will happen at The Alamodome in San Antonio.
The 11-minute video will air interstitially on Showtime.
Having been ringside when Trout (26-0, 14 knockouts) won a unanimous decision over his brother, Rigoberto Alvarez, in February of 2011 in Guadalajara, Mexico, Saul Alvarez called his bout with Trout "personal."
"I'm going to win. Without a doubt, I'm going to win. This fight is personal because Trout beat my brother," said Alvarez.
Alvarez (41-0, 30 KOs) was also in the arena in December when Trout won his last fight by unanimous decision over three-division titlewinner Miguel Cotto (37-4, 30 KOs) at New York's Madison Square Garden.
Although Alvarez has said that he will take advantage of the left hook that was often landed by Cotto against Trout, Trout said that he has since developed a better defense for that punch.
"He said that it's for revenge. For me, it was never about his brother. It's not about his family," said Trout. "I have the mindset that I’m not leaving San Antonio without my belt, without his belt and without my 'zero' intact.”
ROBERT BYRD TO OFFICIATE FLOYD MAYWEATHER-ROBERT GUERRERO
Referee Robert Byrd and judges Julie Lederman, Duane Ford and Jerry Roth have been chosen to work the May 4, Showtime Pay Per View-televised challenge by Robert Guerrero for the WBC welterweight belt owned by pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. during a Monday meeting of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, where the 36-year-old Mayweather was also licensed as is annually required.
In addition, referee Jay Nady and judges Dick Houck, Robert Hoyle and Michael Pernick were selected to work the co-feature during which rising two-division titlewinner Abner Mares will challenge WBC featherweight titleholder Daniel Ponce de Leon.
From his last fight against Cotto in May of last year, Mayweather emerged with a bloody nose from one of the most physical fights of his illustrious career, ending Cotto's streak of three straight knockout victories in May.
On Saturday, during an interview on CBS between NCAA Final Four games at The Georgia Dome in Atlanta, however, Mayweather addressed whether or not he is likely fight Guerrero in a similar toe-to-to manner as he did Cotto.
"Sure I have done it in some of my fights, like the Miguel Cotto fight, but there is also a limit. I couldn’t have done that in all of my 43 fights. There is a limit. I say to the young fighters that some things just aren’t cool," said Mayweather.
Mayweather appeared after Louisville's 72-68 victory over Witchita State, and prior to Michigan's 61-56 win over Syracuse, touting his clash with Guerrero (31-1-1, 18 KOs) that will happen at The MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
In accordance with the NSAC rules, Mayweather -- like any other boxer who was born in 1977 or earlier -- had to be on the committee's agenda and receive additional medical testing prior to being licensed, according to NSAC executive director Keith Kizer.
Photo by Stephanie Trapp, Showtime
Photo by Tom Hogan, Hogan Photos, Golden Boy Promotions
Lem Satterfield can be reached at email@example.com