Middleweight beltholder Peter Quillin could soon defend his WBO title against promotional stablemate Danny Jacobs.
IBF orders Alexander to face Bizier
IBF welterweight titleholder Devon Alexander has been ordered to make his next defense against unbeaten Kevin Bizier, whom he could face as part of the May 18 Peterson-Matthysse card on Showtime.
IBF beltholder Devon Alexander has been ordered to face undefeated Canadian Kevin Bizer a by the IBF, Alexander's trainer, Kevin Cunningham, said, in a fight that could take place on the May 18 Showtime-televised co-feature to the Lamont Peterson-Lucas Matthysse fight at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City.
So instead, Alexander, 26, has been advised by the IBF that he must face the next available contender in Bizier (20-0, 14 KOs), a 28-year-old who is coming off an eighth-round knockout of ex-beltholder Nate Campbell in February.
"We received a letter from the IBF this morning," said Gomez, "and they're ordering us to go to Alexander's next available because he's in a mandatory situation period."
Alexander appears to have fully recovered from the "freak" bicep injury that forced his bout with Brook to be postponed from Feb. 23. Prior to that, Alexander-Brook was scheduled for Jan. 19 before an ankle injury forced Brook to postpone the fight from that date.
A former IBF and WBC junior welterweight titleholder, Alexander has turned in solid performances in his past two 147-pound bouts with one-sided unanimous decisions over hard-punching foes Marcos Maidana and Randall Bailey last year.
"Bizier fought Nate Campbell and stopped Nate Campbell in his last fight, but it makes no difference who it is, Devon will be ready to deal whoevever on May 18," said Cunningham.
"We're prepared to comply with addressing our mandatory obligation. That's what we were doing with Kell Brook anyway was addressing our mandatory, so we have no problem with fighting the next available guy or any of the other names out there."
In addition to Peterson (31-1-1, 16 KOs) against Matthysse (33-2, 31 KOs), Gomez said that the card will include a 147-pound-matchup between Shawn Porter (20-0-1, 14 KOs) and Canadian Phil LoGreco (25-0, 14 KOs).
Porter is coming off December's draw with former two-time lightweight beltholder Julio Diaz, and LoGreco rose from a first-round knockdown for November's seventh-round stoppage of Daniel Sostre, LoGreco's second consecutive knockout victory.
Photo by Rich Kane, Hogan Photos, Golden Boy Promotions
Lem Satterfield can be reached at email@example.com