Middleweight beltholder Peter Quillin could soon defend his WBO title against promotional stablemate Danny Jacobs.
Mayweather to duel with Marquez-Bradley on Sept. 14?
Should Floyd Mayweather Jr. get beyond a May 4 date with Robert Guerrero at the MGM Grand, he could return to that site on Sept. 14 and go head-to-head with a potential clash between Tim Bradley and Juan Manuel Marquez.
Nevada State Athletic Commission exectutive director Keith Kizer says that Las Vegas could play host to "another dual Super Bowl of boxing" on Sept. 14.
On Dec. 6 Golden Boy requested the MGM Grand for a bout featuring Floyd Mayweather Jr. On Tuesday, Kizer received an e-mail from Top Rank attorney Daniel Pancheri requesting the Thomas and Mack Center for a potential bout between WBO welterweight titleholder Tim Bradley and Juan Manuel Marquez.
Mayweather, meanwhile, has a May 4 date for a defense of his WBC welterweight belt at the MGM against Robert Guerrero on Showtime Pay Per View.
"Their guy [Mayweather] still has to fight another fight," said Top Rank CEO Bob Arum, calling Kizer's assertion about the Thomas and Mack "accurate," and adding, "You can't reserve two dates unless this fight is meaningless."
According to Kizer, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer wrote in a December e-mail: "As you probably have heard, Floyd Mayweather wants to fight twice next year. I therefore would like to request the dates of May 4, 2013 and September 14, 2013. We have already put the MGM on hold as the venue and we have informed the PPV industry accordingly."
Schaefer confirmed the situation on Tuesday.
"Yes we are holding the date for a fight for Floyd Mayweather. [Mayweather] has been very clear that he will be fighting on that date," stated Schaefer in an e-mail to RingTV.com. "The MGM has confirmed the date for Golden Boy. We have the date on hold as well with the [pay per view] industry."
On Sept. 15 of last year, Golden Boy promoted a card headlined by Saul "Canelo" Alvarez vs. Josesito Lopez at the MGM Grand, while Top Rank featured Sergio Martinez against Julio Cesar Chavez Jr at Thomas and Mack.
"Golden Boy requested Sept. 14 for the MGM ... and today, Top Rank requested that date for the Thomas and Mack, so it looks like we'll have another dual Super Bowl of boxing like we had last year," said Kizer.
"Neither one of them will be on the agenda until late June or early July for approval, but I would anticipate that the commissioners will grant approval to both of them. I'm excited to have another dual Super Bowl that weekend."
Mayweather is coming off a unanimous-decision victory over then-WBA junior middleweight beltholder Miguel Cotto on May 5 of last year at the MGM Grand
Back on Dec. 6, when it was initially announced that Mayweather had requested May 4 and Sept. 14 as his return dates, Arum told RingTV.com that he would respect the Golden Boy dates and not try to schedule against them, as long as Mayweather was the main attraction.
"Obviously, if they have Floyd Mayweather fighting on May 4, we would not go head-to-head," said Arum, who, at the time, was promoting Marquez's stoppage of Pacquiao.
"But if they're using this to push another fight on May 4, we might go head-to-head. If Mayweather wants to go on a particular date, he's the gorilla, like Pacquiao's the gorilla. That's fine."
During an interview with Yahoo!Sports on Tuesday, Top Rank President Todd duBoef, said that although Marquez-Bradley had not been officially announced, he would consider moving that bout to a different date if Mayweather was to indeed choose to fight on Sept. 14.
"I get it. I'm not stupid," said duBoef to Yahoo!Sports. "If Floyd goes, I'll cede the date."
Photo by Tom Hogan, Hogan Photos, Golden Boy Promotions
Photo by Chris Farina, Top Rank
Lem Satterfield can be reached at email@example.com