Middleweight beltholder Peter Quillin could soon defend his WBO title against promotional stablemate Danny Jacobs.
Lem's latest: Mayweather rips Guerrero; Donaire has surgery
Floyd Mayweather calls Robert Guerrero "a religious guy" who is also a "big-time hypocrite" in Showtime's latest episode of All Access: Mayweather vs. Guerrero.
In the first episode of All-Access: Mayweather vs. Guerrero on April 10, two-division titlewinner Robert Guerrero mocked pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s in effigy with a pinata fashioned in the likeness of the WBC welterweight beltholder.
During the second episode on April 17, Guerrero (31-1-1, 18 knockouts) vowed to deliver "the worst beating" upon Mayweather, who called the challenger a "F___in' dumb ass."
On Wednesday at 10 p.m. ET/PT, Showtime will air the third of five episodes of All-Access: Mayweather vs. Guerrero, during which Mayweather (43-0, 26 KOs) calls Guerrero "a religious guy" who is a "big-time hypocrite" in advance of his May 4 defense against the southpaw fighter at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on Showtime Pay Per View.
"This is a religious guy, you know, but he has Marilyn Monroe on his wall in his house. He's been contradicting himself. Big-time hypocrite. He’s preaching how he’s supposed to be a role model. Talk about me, but this kid, you know, f___ing people's lawns up with a dusty-assed truck," said Mayweather.
Later, playing off of Guerrero's nickname, "The Ghost," Mayweather declares, "We're the Ghost busters."
Coming off November's unanimous decision over two-time 147-pound titleholder Andre Berto in his last fight, Guerrero, 29, has become increasingly critical of Mayweather, who was the world's highest-paid athlete last year.
Mayweather, 36, last fought on May 5 of last year, earning a unanimous decision victory over Miguel Cotto for the WBA's junior middleweight belt.
NONITO DONAIRE RECOVERING FROM SHOULDER SURGERY
Junior featherweight Nonito Donaire (31-2, 20 KOs) is recovering from arthroscopic surgery performed by Dr. Shabi Kahn on Friday, April 19, at Seton Medical Center in Daly City, Calif., on Donaire's right shoulder that repaired two tears, according to an initial report by Manila Standard.
Donaire fought through the injury during an April 13 unanimous decision loss to Guillermo Rigondeaux, who added the RING and WBO championships to the WBA belt he already owned.
"I’m good. The surgery went well. We needed to get that done," said Donaire, according to the Manila Standard, adding, that Kahn "did a really amazing job," and, "I feel great."
Two days prior to losing to Rigondeaux at New York's Radio City Music Hall, Donaire received the Sugar Ray Robinson Trophy for being named Fighter of The year for 2012 by the Boxing Writers' Association of America.
Donaire, 30, and his pregnant wife, Rachel, are expecting their first child, a son who will be named Jarel Michael, in mid-to-late July.
"Right now, the most important thing is waiting for the baby. I’m very excited about that and feel very good," said Donaire. "I want to be 100 percent going into the ring next time around. I'll give it eight weeks of rehab right now and then begin workouts."
ZAB JUDAH SAYS DANNY GARCIA'S INJURY PROLONGED AN INEVITABLE LOSS
On Saturday night at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, Philadelphia's Danny Garcia (25-0, 16 KOs) will defend RING, WBA and WBC junior welterweight belts against former 140-pound titleholder and welterweight champ Zab Judah (42-7, 29 KOs) in a bout that was postponed from its original date of Feb. 9 due to a rib injury suffered by Garcia.
"Actually I think it was a blessing in disguise. God is the best planner of everybody," said Judah, 35, of the injury which delayed the fight.
Judah also sees the clash as a chance to silence Garcia's smack-talking father and trainer, Angel Garcia.
"It’s called killing two birds with one stone. Angel Garcia's a trainer. He's a father. He’s the older man. I respect my elders," said Judah, a Las Vegas resident who is from Brooklyn.
DANNY JACOBS RETURNS TO BARCLAYS IN HIS NATIVE BROOKLYN
Middleweight prospect Danny Jacobs (24-1, 21 KOs), of Brooklyn, was last at Barclays Center in October, when he stopped Josh Luteran in the first round on the undercard of Garcia's fourth-round knockout of Erik Morales.
Jacobs, 26, will face Keenan Collins (15-7-3, 10 KOs) on Saturday's Garcia-Judah undercard, and will be in search of his fifth straight knockout victory since, himself, falling by fifth-round stoppage to Dmitry Pirog in July of 2010.
"It feels good. A little bit more pressure is off of me now. The first time around was kind of special, so I was a little nervous, but I feel good now. I feel confident," said Jacobs, of returning to Brooklyn and Barclays Center.
Jacobs is coming off December's Showtime-televised knockout over Chris "The Irish Ghost" Fitzpatrick who retired on his stool prior to the sixth round. Jacobs-Fitzpatrick took place on undercard of Austin Trout's unanimous decision over Miguel Cotto at New York's Madison Square Garden.
Also on the Garcia-Judah card is 2012 U.S. Olympic team member Marcus Browne (3-0, 3 KOs), a 22-year-old Staten Island, N.Y., resident who will face Phildadelphia's Taneal Goyco (4-5-1, 2 KOs) in a light heavyweight bout.
"Danny is like a big brother to me. I love Danny," said Browne of Jacobs. "Being in the gym with him and working right next to him means a lot. He showed me the way. It’s a beautiful thing."
TOKA KAHN CLARY ON BOSTON BOMBER SUSPECT TAMERLAN TSARNAEV:
Junior lightweight Toka Khan Clary, of Providence, R.I., was working at an elderly center in his hometown last week when he got the call from his mother about the death in a shootout of Tamerlan Tsarnaev, a former amateur teammate of his in 2009 who is alleged to have been the mastermind behind last week's Boston Marathon bombing.
"I was working with my mother called me and told me about it. She said that they had killed the bomber. She said that they showed a picture of the boxing team, and that he was in it," said Clary, who traveled with Tsarnaev to Salt Lake City for a Golden Gloves tournament in 2009.
"She realized that it was a picture was of the boxing team, and she thought to herself, 'I think that my son has this picture at home,' and she called me. That's when I realized who she was talking about, that big, 200-pound Russian kid. That strong kid. That's when I started really watching the news, because I realized that it was him."
Clary, 20, has the photo of the 2009 team in an album maintained by his mother.
In his last fight, on the Rigondeaux-Donaire undercard, Clary (5-0, 4 KOs) scored three knockdowns during his first round stoppage of Gadiel Andulez, of San Juan, P.R.
Retired former contender "Irish" Micky Ward, of Lowell, Mass., who once posed with Tsarnaev for a photo in 2006, called the former fighter's alleged acts "cowardly." Ward is known for winning the first of three bouts in his classic trilogy with Arturo Gatti.
Rodriguez informed Yahoo!Sports in an interview last week that he watched the news about the bombing shortly after his wife, Stephanie, gave birth to their third child, Evan Kaden Rodriguez, on Monday.
Tsarnaev's younger brother and suspected accomplice, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, has been arrested and charged while being held in custody.
HALL OF FAME GETS A $50,000 DONATION FROM JAGERMEISTER
The Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame has received a $50,000 donation from Jägermeister in advance of its its first fan event entitled "A Night with Boxing Legends" that is slated for May 2 at 7:30 p.m. PT at Diego's Méxican Cuisine restaurant at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
The brainchild of longtime boxing commentator and historian Rich Marotta, of KFI Radio, Los Angeles, the Nevada Hall of Fame's event will boast former champion Mike "The Body Snatcher" McCallum, trainer Freddie Roach, referee Joe Cortez and Showtime boxing commentator Al Bernstein in "meet and greet, Q and A, bring the boxing community together type thing," according to Marotta.
Jägermeister has aligned with Roach and the Nevada Hall of Fame in conjunction with "A Brother in your Corner," the iconic brand's social responsibility campaign and consumer competition. Roach and Jägermeister announced their partnership in February in an attempt to develop responsible consumption.
Tickets for the Hall of Fame event may be purchased on the Nevada Hall of Fame website for $20 to the event, which will transpire two days before the Mayweather-Guerrero fight.
Photos by Chris Farina, Top Rank
Photo by Scott Heavey, Getty Images
Photo by Elsa, Golden Boy Promotions
Lem Satterfield can be reached at email@example.com