Middleweight beltholder Peter Quillin could soon defend his WBO title against promotional stablemate Danny Jacobs.
Cotto to return 'definitely this year'
According to his advisor, four-time, three-division titlewinner Miguel Cotto will return to the ring later this year, most likely as a junior middleweight.
LAS VEGAS – In attendance at the Cosmopolitan Hotel for junior welterweight Antonio Orozco's seventh-round TKO of of Jose Reynoso on Friday night was three-division, four-time titlewinner Miguel Cotto, who will also be ringside for Saturday night's megafight featuring Robert Guerrero and Floyd Mayweather Jr. at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.
Coming off consecutive unanimous-decision losses to Mayweather (46-0, 26 knockouts) and Austin Trout in May and December of last year, Cotto (37-4, 30 KOs) will return to the ring "definitely this year," according to Gaby Penagaricano, Cotto's attorney and legal advisor.
"It's early. Honestly, we don't know. We're waiting for to see where all of the chips fall after the big fights, and then make a decision as to Miguel's next plans," said Penagarico of Cotto, 32, whose winning streak of three straight stoppages was ended by Mayweather.
"But there is nothing on the table right now. There are no concrete plans. We're just starting to plan his return. Definitely this year. We're waiting for Miguel to tell us. He's going to fight one time this year. But I think that it's going to be toward the end of this year."
Cotto's win over Margarito improved him to 7-0 with four knockouts at The Garden, where he is believed to have sold more tickets than any fighter overall, including Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, Roberto Duran, "or anybody else," according to Top Rank CEO Bob Arum, who promoted Cotto-Margarito II.
Cotto is immensely popular in the Big Apple, where his overall record of 9-1 includes four stoppage wins, counting a ninth-round knockout that dethroned Yuri Foreman as WBA beltholder at Yankee Stadium in June of 2010.
"Miguel hasn't indicated to us exactly what, but it's going to be toward the end of the year. We have to wait and see. Honestly, we haven't discussed the weight with him," said Penagaricano.
"But I think that he will be staying at 154. Hopefully, soon, we're going to announce what we're going to do. We're going to see what happens tomorrow and we'll see. We're going to meet after tomorrow's fight and then see exactly what we're going to do."
MIGUEL COTTO'S FIGHTS IN NEW YORK:
Waklimi Young, UD 4, Hammerstein Ballroom, April 28, 2001
Muhammad Abdulaev, TKO 9, Madison Square Garden, June 11, 2005
Paulie Malignaggi, UD 12, Madison Square Garden, June 10, 2006
Zab Judah, TKO 11, Madison Square Garden, June 9, 2007
Shane Mosley, UD 12, Madison Square Garden, Nov. 10, 2007
Michael Jennings, TKO 5, Madison Square Garden, February 21, 2009
Joshua Clottey, SD 12, Madison Square Garden, June 13, 2009
Yuri Foreman, TKO 9, Yankee Stadium, June 5, 2010
Antonio Margarito, TKO 10, Madison Square Garden, Dec. 3, 2011
Austin Trout, L UD 12, Madison Square Garden, Dec. 1, 2012
Photo by Chris Farina, Top Rank
Photo by Tom Casino, Showtime
Lem Satterfield can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org