Middleweight beltholder Peter Quillin could soon defend his WBO title against promotional stablemate Danny Jacobs.
Lem's latest: Mayweather vs. Alvarez Schaefer's top priority
Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer said "hopefully" Floyd Mayweather Jr. versus Saul Canelo Alvarez will happen on Sept. 14 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
LAS VEGAS -- Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer listed a battle of RING and WBC champions between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez as the top priority for a Showtime Pay Per View extravaganza on Sept. 14 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.
Mayweather (44-0, 26 knockouts) is coming off Saturday night's unanimous decision over Robert Guerrero (31-1-1, 18 KOs) to become RING welterweight champion, while Alvarez (42-0-1, 30 KOs) scored a unanimous decision over Austin Trout (26-1, 14 KOs) last month to become the top junior middleweight.
Schaefer responded to questions about Mayweather and Alvarez at Saturday night's post-fight press conference at the MGM.
"Canelo made it clear to us with Austin Trout that he wanted Austin Trout, and he made it clear to us that he wants Floyd Mayweather," said Schaefer, adding that if Mayweather did not choose to fight on that date, "I'm going to go with Canelo" against another opponent.
"Hopefully, it will be Mayweather and Canelo on Sept. 14. Well, you know, we're going to see in the next week to 10 days how this is going to shake out, and then, we're going to decide what's going to be next."
Mayweather neither dismissed nor confirmed that Alvarez would be next, even as he stated, "Yes, I'll be back in September."
"I'm closer to 40 than I am to 21, so I feel like I'm in a position to take some time off, talk it over with [advisor] Al Haymon, talk it over with my father and the rest of my team, and see what I can come up with," said Mayweather.
GUERRERO ON MAYWEAHER: 'HE'S QUICK. HE'S SLICK'
Mayweather out-landed Guerrero, 195-to-113 in total punches, including a whopping 153-to-81 in power shots with an advantage of 42-to-32 in jabs.
"He was barely slipping by the punches. I landed some good punches. He's a great fighter. He's slick, he's quick," said Guerrero. "He came out and did his thing. He was a little better than I thought. I thought I was going to catch him. He was on his game tonight."
In the end, Guerrero simply could not find Mayweather.
"Everyone was saying that at the age of 36, I didn't have it no more. My defense wasn't sharp after the Cotto fight," said Mayweather.
"But I have proved myself. Cotto is a future Hall of Famer. I've been in with some of the best. All I want to do is give the fans exciting fights."
Ringside judges Duane Ford, Jerry Roth and Julie Lederman all scored the fight 117-111 for Mayweather.
OTHER POSSIBILITIES FOR MAYWEATHER?
For the second straight fight, Mayweather pocketed a record purse for boxing, $32 million compared to the $3 million earned by Guerrero. It was Mayweather's first appearance on Showtime Pay Per View as part of an exclusive multi-fight venture with Showtime and its parent company, CBS Corporation.
Although Mayweather did not list alternatives to Alvarez, Schaefer did when asked at the post-fight press conference.
Chief among them were RING, WBA and WBC junior welterweight champion Danny Garcia (26-0, 16 KOs) and two-division former 140-pound titleholder Amir Khan (28-3, 19 KOs), with IBF welterweight titleholder Devon Alexander (24-1, 13 KOs) also potentially in the mix.
Alexander will make a defense of his belt against Lee Purdy (20-3-1, 13 KOs) on the May 18 undercard of a main event between RING No. 1-rated junior welterweight Lucas Matthysse (33-2, 31 KOs) and IBF beltholder Lamont Peterson (31-1-1, 16 KOs) at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City.
Garcia is coming off an April 27 unanimous decision over former titleholder Zab Judah, who has beaten Matthysse and lost by fifth-round knockout to Khan.
Also on April 17, Khan rose from a fourth-round knockdown for a unanimous decision over former two-time lightweight beltholder Julio Diaz that followed up December's 10th-round stoppage of Carlos Molina.
Should Garcia get beyond a targeted September 7 showdown with the winner between Peterson and Matthysse, he could face Khan in a Dec. 7 rematch, or else Khan could rise into the welterweight division to challenge Alexander on that date.
"You have some big names at 140 who are moving up to 147 as well. Let's say an Amir Khan, who was at ringside, would decide to move up to 147 for his December fight," said Schaefer.
As for Guerrrero, Schaefer could see him against former welterweight beltholder Victor Ortiz, a loser by fourth-round knockout to Mayweather in September of 2011.
"You have Victor Ortiz, who is coming back in September, he feels that there is some unfinished business," said Schaefer. "So we could do an Ortiz fight against a Robert 'The Ghost' Guerrero. There are a lot of possibilities."
SCHAEFER STILL WILLING TO MAKE MARES-NONITO DONAIRE
Donaire and Rigondeaux are promoted by Golden Boy rival Top Rank, making a bout with Mares difficult.
"I'm still willing to make an offer to them for Donaire and Mares," said Schaefer. "Obviously, it's less money now for Donaire."
Schaefer consider Mares to be a main event fighter.
"I could definitely see an Abner Mares headliner at the Staples Center or the Home Depot Center, in Texas, or we could do a show with him in Mexico," said Schaefer.
Over the course of 18 months, Mares has won titles in three different weight classes.
Photos by Naoki Fukuda
Lem Satterfield can be reached at email@example.com