Middleweight beltholder Peter Quillin could soon defend his WBO title against promotional stablemate Danny Jacobs.
Attorney: Wilder has apologized
Unbeaten heavyweight contender Deontay Wilder, who was arrested for domestiic battery on Saturday, has apologized to the victim, according to the fighter's attorney.
The attorney for Deontay Wilder said the boxer thought someone was stealing from him before he allegedly committed assault, which led to his arrest and subsequent release from the Clark County Detention Center on Saturday in Las Vegas.
The heavyweight prospect was held on domestic battery by strangulation charges and released on a $15,000 bond, according to Clark County Detention Center records.
Wilder (28-0, 28 knockouts) was in Las Vegas for the Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Robert Guerrero bout when the alleged incident occurred at the MGM Grand Hotel, the site of the fight, according to his lawyer, Paul Patterson.
"Deontay was physically at the fight. He had traveled with a group of people from Alabama. Unfortunately, Deontay instinctively reacted under the false impression that somebody was stealing from him. He regrets his actions, and he has apologized to the victim," said Patterson of Wilder.
"He mistakenly thought someone was stealing something out of his personal belongings, and when he encountered that situation, he acted out in a way that he should not have."
Wilder, from Tuscaloosa, Ala., is expected to appear in court on July 3, according to Patterson.
"I currently have a meeting scheduled with some Nevada attorneys. We hope that it will be resolved," said Patterson, who also is based in Tuscaloosa. "Deontay is well-loved in the community, he gives back, and he's done countless things for children. He's learned from this, and he's going to use this as a lesson learned in life."
Golden Boy reportedly had been considering a bout between Wilder and England's Dereck Chisora prior to the boxer's arrest.
Lem Satterfield can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org