Middleweight beltholder Peter Quillin could soon defend his WBO title against promotional stablemate Danny Jacobs.
Hopkins-Murat card cancelled
The July 13 Showtime Championship Boxing card headlined by IBF light heavyweight beltholder Bernard Hopkins’ title defense against Karo Murat at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y., has been cancelled due to the Germany based challenger’s visa denial and subsequent inability to enter the United States.
Due to light heavyweight contender Karo Murat being declared ineligible to receive a visa by the United States Department of State, and his subsequent inability to enter the United States, his scheduled July 13 fight against IBF titleholder Bernard Hopkins at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y., slated to air on Showtime Championship Boxing has been cancelled along with the entire event, according to a Friday press release from Golden Boy Promotions.
“This is an extremely disappointing development as we were anticipating Bernard making history once again on July 13 at Barclays Center,” said Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer. “Since the administrative process that would have to be undertaken in order for Murat's visa petition to be reconsidered takes longer than six months, we're exploring several options with respect to Bernard's next fight.”
Hopkins, who broke his own record for being the oldest boxing champion when he outpointed previously unbeaten Tavoris Cloud for the IBF title in March, is also disappointed at the Murat development.
“I'm extremely disappointed about the fight being cancelled,” said Hopkins. “I was already in the gym, sparring and preparing for the fight, but things happen. I know Richard Schaefer and the staff at Golden Boy Promotions are already working on something bigger and better. I stay in shape so being ready is never a problem and I look forward to whatever fight is made for me in the near future.”