Middleweight beltholder Peter Quillin could soon defend his WBO title against promotional stablemate Danny Jacobs.
Lem's latest: Officials picked for Bradley-Marquez
Referee Robert Byrd, who was the third man in the ring for Tim Bradley's win over Manny Pacquiao last year, will officiate Bradley vs. Juan Manuel Marquez on Oct. 12.
The Nevada State Athletic Commission on Wednesday appointed referee Robert Byrd and judges Robert Hoyle, Patricia Morse Jarman and Glenn Feldman to work the Oct. 12 welterweight bout between Tim Bradley and Juan Manuel Marquez at the Thomas and Mack Center in Las Vegas.
Hoyle's card read 114-114 in Marquez's majority decision loss to Pacquiao in November of 2011, and he had Marquez ahead, 77-74, when the Mexican fighter rose from a third-round knockdown to stop Michael Katsidis in the ninth round in November of 2010.
Ross, who has taken a leave of absence in the wake of the Mayweather-Alvarez scoring controversy, was among two judges -- the other being Duane Ford -- who scored 115-113 for Bradley over Pacquiao.
Surprised by Ross's score in the Mayweather-Alvarez bout, Nevada Commission Chairman Bill Brady apologized for failing to block Ross's inclusion into Mayweather-Alvarez, a recommendation by NSAC executive director Keith Kizer, and promised more scrutiny of officials in future selection procedures.
To that end, Kizer said that a conference call was held the day before Wednesday's committee meeting, during which Brady and parcicipants of the Bradley and Marquez camps were briefed on the suggested officials.
"The added aspect with Chairman Brady on the conference call wasn't asking anybody who they wanted or anything like that. It was just to see my list," said Kizer.
"For the most part there was no concern for most of the officials, and for the officials that we ended up using, there were no concerns whatsoever. No concerns from either Top Rank, Bradley or Marquez, so that worked out well."
At Wednesday's meeting, Kizer said Top Rank matchmaker Bruce Trampler validated his assertion, informing commission members that there were no issues with the referees or the judges.
"For all of the fighters, I see who has worked their fights in the past. Once I have my list compiled, I'll go through the Boxrec.com for each individual official," said Kizer, who explained his selection process to commission members on Wednesday.
JIM LAMPLEY'S TAKE ON BRADLEY-MARQUEZ
"Marquez-Bradley is a pretty even matchup. I've noticed that the experts seem fairly evenly split. The one thing that most people seem to be leaning toward is that the fight goes the distance, and you never know who will get the benefit of the doubt from the judges in Las Vegas," said HBO's Jim Lampley.
Bradley was last in the ring in March, when he rose from a 12th-round knockdown to secure a unanimous decision over Ruslan Provodnikov in defense of the title he won by split-decision over Pacquiao last June. In his last fight, Marquez scored a sixth-round knockout of Pacquiao.
"The great thing about this fight is that this fight presents a fair number of unknowns. So we're not going to find out what's going to happen until they get into the ring."
TRAINER: JULIO CESAR CHAVEZ, BRYAN VERA TO FIGHT AT 173-POUND CATCHWEIGHT
Trainer Ronnie Shields confirmed a report that his fighter, Bryan Vera (23-6, 14 KOs), will face former WBC middleweight titleholder Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (46-1-1, 32 KOs) at catchweight of 173 pounds that is beyond the originally contracted super middleweight mark of 168.
To that end, Top Rank CEO Bob Arum said that he wold look to negotiate a deal on Wednesday morning with Artie Pelullo, the promoter of Vera, potentially to raise the contracted to mark to somewhere above 168, and perhaps to 173.
"We will just have to work out a financial consideration that would be given to Bryan Vera because Chavez can't make weight," said Pelullo to RingTV.com on Tuesday afternoon. "We have a contract to deliver Bryan Vera at 168 pounds, and I will deliver him that, and Bryan's already at 168 or 169 right now. The problem has occurred because Chavez Jr. is overweight."
On Thursday, Shields informed RingTV.com that the mark of 173 was agreed to, and that Vera was financially compensated.
"All that happened was that we had a meeting with Artie -- me, Bryan and his manager, Dave Watson, we told him exactly what the terms were that Bryan wanted. Then, Artie went to Arum, and then, he came back and saiid that that they had agreed to it. So the agreed upon weight was 173. It's something that Bryan wanted. Bryan set the terms on what he wanted. Everything was up to Bryan Vera," said Shields.
"Bryan realizes one thing: This guy worked his ass off for 17 weeks. This fight has been on and off four times. Bryan worked too hard to just say, 'I'm not fighting.' Bryan is very confident that he's going to win this fight, and so am I, absolutely, without a doubt. But if it was up to me, and if Bryan would have said, 'what do you think?' -- and he did ask me what I thought -- but if he would have said, 'you choose,' or whatever, then, more than likely, there would not have been a fight."
PAULIE MALIGNAGGI-SHAWN PORTER, ANYONE?
Two-division titlewinner Paulie Malignaggi (32-5, 7 KOs) informed RingTV.com on Wednesday that he is being considered for a Golden Boy-promoted welterweight bout against unbeaten Shawn Porter (22-0, 14 KOs) on Dec. 7 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
Malignaggi was dethroned as WBA 147-pound beltholder via split-decision loss to Adrien Broner in June, while Porter is coming off a Sept. 12 unanimous decision over ex-beltholder Julio Diaz, with whom Porter had fought to a draw in December.
NSAC REPORTS: FIGHTERS ON PORTER-DIAZ CARD TESTED NEGATIVE
The post-fight drug tests for all of the fighters on the Porter-Diaz undercard at the MGM Grand on Sept. 12 returned negative for anabolic steroids, masking agents and marijuana, according to Kizer.
Photo by Naoki Fukuda
Lem Satterfield can be reached at email@example.com