Middleweight beltholder Peter Quillin could soon defend his WBO title against promotional stablemate Danny Jacobs.
Wlodarczyk-Fragomeni III bound for Chicago on Dec. 6
WBC cruiserweight titleholder Krzysztof Wlodarczyk will have his third fight with Giacobbe Fragomeni, whom he has stopped and battled to a draw.
Polish cruiserweight Krzysztof Wlodarczyk will make the sixth defense of his WBC belt at Chicago's UIC Pavillion in a Dec. 6 rematch with Giacobbe Fragomeni, the man he defeated for the then-vacant belt by eighth-round knockout in May of 2010, Warriors Boxing Promoter Leon Margules announced on Tuesday.
A 32-year-old from Warsaw, Wlodarczyk (48-2-1, 34 knockouts) is 11-0-1 with seven stoppage wins since being dethroned as IBF titleholder by Steve Cunningham in May of 2007.
Wlodardzyk had battled to a draw with Fragomeni (31-3-2, 12 KOs) a year before beating him for the title, which Fragomeni himself had held and then lost to Zsolt Erdei. Fragomeni, 44, has gone 5-0-1, with two knockouts, since his last meeting with Wlodarczyk.
"I am excited to defend my title against a worthy challenger in front of so many Polish-Americans in the great city of Chicago," said Wlodarczyk, in a release. "I will finish this series with Fragomeni with a huge victory for all the fans."
In his last fight in June, Wlodarczyk rose from a third-round knockdown and floored previously unbeaten 2008 Olympic gold medalist Rakhim Chakhkiev in the sixth, seventh and final stanzas of an eighth-round knockout victory.
"This fight will feature yet another great Polish fighter in a world championship bout," said Margules. "The atmosphere of the Midwest's top location for boxing and the thrills that every Krzysztof Wlodarczyk fight creates will make for another unforgettable night."
Photo by Janek Skarzynski-AFP/Gettyimages
Lem Satterfield can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org