Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions, the new promoter of Nonito Donaire, said the plan is for the bantamweight titleholder to fight on May 28 in California, Donaire’s home state.
Schaefer said his company, with whom Donaire signed a multi-fight deal, is working on finding a suitable opponent but declined to provide names.
“Basically, when you have one of the pound-for-pound best fighters in the world, you’re never going to run out of potential opponents,” Schaefer said.
Golden Boy also has made an offer to promote Anselmo Moreno, who holds another 118-pound title, but no agreement has been reached.
Bob Arum of Top Rank, for whom Donaire had been fighting, says his contract with the Filipino-American remains valid and will fight the move to Golden Boy in court.
Arum told the Manila Bulletin that he has filed for an arbitration hearing with the same retired judge – Daniel Weinstein — who heard the Golden Boy-Top Rank contract dispute over Manny Pacquiao.
“We have just filed a complaint with (retired judge) Daniel Weinstein for arbitration,” Arum told the newspaper. “Hearing is set next week in Los Angeles.”
Arum said attorneys Daniel Petrocelli and David Marroso will represent Top Rank at the hearing.
Arum also vowed that Donaire will not fight with anyone else as his promoter.
“Unless he comes back to us,” Arum told the Bulletin, “he won’t have a fight. The only fight he is going to have is with his wife, Rachel.”
Schaefer didn’t want to comment on the legal situation.
“That’s something our attorneys and Donaire’s attorneys are dealing with,” he said.