A third fight between Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez won't be happening anytime soon, promoter Bob Arum told reporters Wednesday at media day for Pacquiao’s fight against Shane Mosley on May 7.
"A fight with Marquez is not possible. It's a question of weight," Arum was quoted as saying by boxingscene.com. "Pacquiao rose in weight and continued to fight between welterweight and super welterweight, and you know the results. Marquez cannot go to that weight because his fights above 135 have not been consistent. You can't have a yo-yo diet where you go up and down. You have to establish yourself in a division and then fight at that weight."
The announcement by Arum at the Wild Card Gym in Hollywood, Calif., contradicts comments he made last week, when he all but named Marquez as Pacquiao's next opponent if he beats Mosley.
"I think this fight of Pacquiao and Mosley will set a pay-per-view record. It's a tough fight for Pacquiao, and if he wins, the best candidate for his next fight is Juan Manuel Marquez," Arum told boxingscene.com. "They have two close fights, and I think it would be the best choice."
The statement also fueled speculation that Marquez could be ready to re-sign with Golden Boy Promotionsrather than jump to Arum's Top Rank Inc., which handles Pacquiao.
Golden Boy offered Marquez a multi-fight deal earlier this month to re-up.
"The first fight would be with Zab Judah, and after that, Robert Guerrero," Richard Schaefer told the Las Vegas Review-Journal. "He listened to what Oscar and I had to say and told us he would think it over. The next move is up to him."
Dennis Taylor is editor/publisher of www.ringsideboxingshow.com and co-host of The Ringside Boxing Show