Dennis Taylor

Is Cotto-Margarito II on for MSG, Dec. 3?

Top Rank Inc. czar Bob Arum told a media source on Sunday that it's probable that Miguel Cotto will fight a rematch against Antonio Margarito on Dec. 3, most likely at New York's Madison Square Garden.

Margarito (38-7, 27 knockouts) took the WBA welterweight title from Cotto (36-2, 29 KOs) in July of 2008, recording an 11th-round knockout. Unusual damage was done to the face of the previously unbeaten Cotto that night, and suspicion fell over the result when, seven months later, Margarito was caught putting plaster in his hand wraps prior to his fight with Shane Mosley.

A Cotto-Margarito fight would hinge on whether Margarito's eye is sufficiently healed from recent surgery to repair a fractured orbital bone — an injury from his loss to Manny Pacquiao.

"Their first fight, Margarito won," Arum told Lem Satterfield of boxingscene.com. "Some people — not myself, of course — question whether or not Antonio Margarito's gloves were OK. I rely on the Nevada State Athletic Commission's (opinion) that they were not. Anyway, it should get a lot of ink and it should sell very well."

Around the web