It appears that unbeaten junior lightweight prospect Adrien Broner has become the mandatory challenger to WBO titlist Ricky Burns of Scotland, according to Golden Boy Promotions matchmaker Eric Gomez.
"We got tipped off that Adrien's going to become the mandatory for Ricky Burns from the WBO," said Gomez. "We're waiting for confirmation from the WBO that he's going to be the mandatory, so we want to try and do something there."
Broner (21-0, 17 knockouts) is coming off of a first-round knockout of Jason Litzau, whom he blasted with 11 unanswered blows over the final 16 seconds last month on HBO.
The 21-year-old from Cincinnati had his streak of KOs ended at 10 by Mexican Daniel Ponce de Leon in March on HBO, which took place before a crowd hostile to Broner in Anaheim, Calif.
"Whatever obstacle gets put in front of me, I'm going to be ready for it, and I'm going to conquer it," said Broner, who turns 22 on Thursday. "I'm in training right now. So I'd be ready to get back into the ring in a couple of months."
Burns (39-2, 9 KOs) has won 17 consecutive fights since losing a decision to Carl Johanneson in 2007.
"I feel like I'm already one of the new faces on HBO, which is great. But I'm just getting started," said Broner. "Trust me, I'm just getting started. The world ain't seen nothing yet."