Amir Khan is convinced a showdown with Floyd Mayweather Jr. next year would attract an 85,000-plus capacity crowd if staged at Wembley Stadium in London.
The WBA and IBF junior welterweight beltholder reckons he has just one more outing left as a 140-pounder, probably against the winner of the Erik Morales-Lucas Matthysse battle for the vacant WBC title on Sept. 17.
Thereafter, the British star, 24, insists he will move up a division and that a proposed clash with the undefeated Mayweather has already been penciled in for some time in 2012.
And Khan, who stopped Zab Judah last month in Las Vegas to lift the IBF title, believes that match-up would hold such huge appeal in the UK that it could easily fill the England soccer team’s national stadium at Wembley, north west London.
"There are some big names left for me but I really think there is only one more fight for me in this division as it’s hard for me to gets fights at 140 pounds, " said the Bolton boxer on Sky Sports News. “The winner of the fight for the vacant WBC title could be my next opponent. Or there is the mandatory challenger for my IBF title, a guy who turned me down before, Lamont Peterson.
"I will take one more fight, then I will move to the 147-pound division where there are more challenges. I’m now the No. 1 at 140 pounds, so I am moving in the right direction. I have Freddie Roach advising me and I have my team around me advising me on the right things.
“I just want to keep busy and active,” Khan continued. “Every young fighter wants to fight the best and Floyd is the best. There is also Manny Pacquiao, but I can’t fight him because I train with him and we are very good friends.
“But Floyd is a possibility. In the next 12 months that could happen and what a huge fight that would be if we bring it to the UK. Floyd has said he would like to fight at Wembley Stadium and I’m sure with two fighters, like Floyd and myself, it would be a sell out."