Lem Satterfield

Salido-Lopez likely to be pushed back to January or February

A proposed fall rematch between WBO featherweight titleholder Orlando Salido of Mexico and Juan Manuel Lopez of Puerto Rico is likely to be pushed back "to the first quarter of next year, hopefully in January or February," according to Salido's manager, Sean Gibbons.

In April, Salido (36-11-2, 24 knockouts) scored an eighth-round knockout that dethroned Lopez (30-1, 27 KOs), whom Gibbons said is "currently seeking an opponent to fight on Oct. 1 in Puerto Rico."

Salido, coming off an 11-round knockout of Japan's Kenichi Yamaguchi last month, could take a bout either in October or November, Gibbons said.

"Nothing's set in stone," said Gibbons. "But it is possible that Salido might fight one more time this year possibly in October or November, or not at all."

Lopez is targeted to be the main event on a card that is expected to include junior lightweight Roman "Rocky" Martinez (24-1-1, 15 KOs) and junior featherweight Jonathan Oquendo (21-2, 14 KOs), said Peter Rivera, Lopez's co-promoter with Top Rank Inc.

"We're planning to do a local pay per view on this fight. So right now, it will at least be on Puerto Rico's pay per view, but we're not sure about the U.S. market," said Rivera.

"We have some names that we are looking at and hope to have an opponent for [Lopez] by the weekend. We're trying to make an announcement next week, but right now, we're still working on the show."

AN ANGRY CLOUD AHEAD

If IBF light heavyweight titleholder Tavoris Cloud (23-0, 19 KOs) could put together his dream schedule, it would begin with a victory over RING and WBC champ Bernard Hopkins.

After that, the 29-year-old boxer-slugger would like to take down WBA and WBO beltholders Beibut Shumenov and Nathan Cleverly, followed by ex-beltholders Jean Pascal and Chad Dawson, the latter of whom challenges Hopkins on Oct. 15.

"The fight of my dreams is Bernard Hopkins, and then Shumenov and then Nathan Cleverly, which would give me all of the belts. Then I want Pascal and last but not least, the ducker of the division, Chad Dawson. He ducks everybody," said Cloud.

"I just want to knock off one of these guys in dramatic fashion, and it will happen. Whoever is next will have a black mark on their record as well as a black eye on their face. They can have both: A black eye and a black mark."

Pascal could be first, for RingTV.com has learned that HBO is extremely interested in matching Cloud against  Pascal, who was dethroned by Hopkins in May.

Pascal's promoter, Yvon Michel, who was unavailable for comment, could meet with HBO officials next week regarding the potential for Cloud-Pascal taking place in January.

Cloud's promoter, Don King, could not be reached, but according to sources, Pascal's camp may be balking because King is asking for options on the Canadian fighter.

"If Pascal is fighting me, and I'm the current champion, and I'm undefeated, why wouldn't he want to give the man an option and why would he use that as a cop out and not even make the fight," said Cloud. "I told my promoter Don King that he don't have to protect me. But I know with the Pascal situation, he feels like he has to protect himself."

Meanwhile, Cloud's frustration is building.

"Every day that the phone doesn't ring, and I don't have the big fight, I know that I have to train harder and to become smarter," said Cloud. "But make no mistake, I will stay focused, and I will keep my killer mentality. Making me wait is only making me more angry and more determined."

HBO's LOADED FALL SCHEDULE

It is understandable why HBO won't likely have a December date for Cloud-Pascal, given the stacked schedule that the network has starting in a couple of weeks.

On Aug. 27, five-belt winner Robert Guerrero rises into the junior welterweight division to face hard-hitting Marcos Maidana in search of his 14th consecutive victory.

A week later, former WBC welterweight beltholder Andre Berto tries to bounce back from his first loss by challenging IBF titleholder Jan Zaveck on Sept. 3.

On Sept. 10, a split-site, double-header features ex-beltholders Yuriorkis Gamboa and Daniel Ponce De Leon facing off as featherweights in Atlantic City, N.J., and WBC heavyweight titleholder Vitali Klitschko making a defense against Tomasz Adamek in Wroclaw, Poland.

Next up, on Sept. 17, is Victor Ortiz defending the WBC welterweight belt he took from Berto against Floyd Mayweather Jr. on HBO pay per view.

On Oct. 1, Sergio Martinez has a middleweight clash against Darren Barker, and, on Oct. 15, RING and WBC light heavyweight beltholder Bernard Hopkins receives the challenge from Chad Dawson.

A week later on Oct. 22, there is a strong possibility that WBC and WBO bantamweight beltholder Nonito Donaire could be facing an opponent to be determined.

Previous reports had Donaire returning on Nov. 5, but RingTV.com has learned that Donaire may fight on the new date.

Donaire's potential rival will be chosen from among Juan Mercedes (26-3 17 KOs), Sebastian Gauthier (21-2, 13 KOs) and Christian Esquivel (23-2, 17 KOs), Tshifhiwa Munyai (21-2, 10 KOs), Omar Narvaez (35-0, 23 KOs), Silence Mabuza (23-3, 19 KOs) or Alexander Munoz (35-4, 27 KOs).

On Nov. 12, eight-division titleholder Manny Pacquiao defends his WBO welterweight belt in a pay-per-view clash with Juan Manuel Marquez, against whom Pacquiao has battled to a draw and a split-decision win.

On Nov. 19, WBC middleweight Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. is slated to clash with Peter Manfredo Jr., that is, assuming Chavez gets beyond a Sept. 17 defense against Ronald Hearns.

HBO is also looking for a December return to the ring by WBA junior welterweight titleholder Amir Khan.

 

Lem Satterfield can be reached at lem.satterfield@gmail.com

Around the web