Lem Satterfield

Lem’s latest: Gatti announcement delayed; Gamboa-de Leon; Klitschko-Adamek

Due to travel interruptions caused by Hurricane Irene, investigators examining the death of former boxer Arturo Gatti have moved from Aug. 30 to Sept. 7 a press conference announcing their conclusion that his demise was a homicide and not a suicide,

The findings following a nearly 11-month investigation will be revealed at the Global Boxing Gym in North Bergen, N.J. at 11 a.m.

Gatti, 37, was found dead on July 11, 2009 in his hotel room in the Brazilian seaside resort of Porto de Galihnas. He was vacationing with his wife, Amanda Rodrigues, who was arrested and charged with his murder but later released.

Brazilian police eventually concluded after an autopsy that Gatti hanged himself from a wooden staircase column using a handbag strap.

A second autopsy in Canada in 2009 was observed by Michael Baden, former police pathologist and host of the HBO show "Autopsy," at the request of Gatti's family. Baden said coroners didn’t rule out homicide as a cause of death.

The refusal of Gatti's manager, Pat Lynch, to believe his friend and former fighter took his own life led him to hire the Chicago-based investigator Paul Ciolino and his partner, Joe Moura.

"At the press conference, there will be six experts. They are six of the most preeminent experts in the country who have been involved in homicide investigations," a source told RingTV.com earlier this month.

"Suicide has been ruled out by all of the experts, and the criminal profiler and crime scene expert has absolutely determined that Arturo Gatti's death is not a suicide, and that it's a homicide."

JUST LIKE OLD TIMES?

During a promotion of the Sept. 10 featherweight clash between Yuriorkis Gamboa and Daniel Ponce de Leon on Monday, Top Rank Promotions CEO Bob Arum and Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer were on the same conference call for the first time certainly since their feud prompted by their twice-failed negotiations to make a bout between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao.

Mayweather has been handled by Golden Boy Promotions, and Pacquiao, by Top Rank.

Pacquiao had once created a conflict by jointly signing with both companies, but the fighter has since amicably settled a lawsuit with Golden Boy Promotions.

In the past, Schaefer and Arum successfully matched Pacqauiao against Juan Manuel Marquez, Oscar De La Hoya, Ricky Hatton and Marco Antonio Barrera.

They also co-promoted Miguel Cotto-Shane Mosley, Erik Morales-Barrera III, Antonio Margarito-Mosley, and Bernard Hopkins-Kelly Pavlik.

"I think that the important thing is that through this effort, we've been able to make a very competitive, very good fight that is great for Gamboa and great for de Leon," said Arum. "And it's great for the sport."

Schaefer agreed.

"I totally agree with that, and I hope that it is the first of many match ups that we can make. We've discussed some other fights, but we'll see what will happen," said Schaefer.

"I think that between our two stables, there are some interesting potential match ups. This one here obviously being the first one."

Long range goals have included matching 21-year-old WBC junior middleweight titleholder Saul Alvarez (37-0-1, 30 KOs) and 25-year-old WBC middleweight beltholder Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (43-0-1, 30 KOs) in an all-Mexican clash of unbeatens.

Alvarez has a defense against 30-year-old Alfonso Gomez (23-4-2, 12 KOs) at the Staples Center in Los Angeles on HBO Pay Per View on Sept. 17.

Alvarez-Gomez will take place as a split-site double-header whose main event features WBC welterweight beltholder Victor Ortiz (29-2-2, 22 KOs) against Mayweather Jr. (41-0, 25 KOs) in a bout that will take place at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

"The fact is that we have opened up our channels of communication," said Schaefer. "And that's a good thing."

In addition, Schaefer said that there has been discussion for a bout between his junior middleweight Alfredo Angulo (20-1, 17 KOs) and Top Rank Inc.'s Vanes Martirosyan (30-0, 19 KOs) since the winner of their WBC eliminator has been mandated as the challenger to Alvarez.

A week ago, the two promoters had a secret lunch meeting to discuss several fights.

"Richard's had stated things correctly," said Arum. "We had a lunch meeting and we discussed other fights, but until the fights are made, it's silly to talk about them."

But one has to wonder, however, whether or not Mayweather-Pacquiao was among them.


GAMBOA, THE BELT-LESS WONDER   

Gamboa earned the WBA's vacant belt with a 10th-round stoppage of Jose Rojas in April of 2009, and added the IBF's vacant title in his last fight — a fourth-round knockout over Jorge Solis in March.

But Gamboa forfeited his IBF belt for failing to attend the second-day weigh-in, and  was somehow stripped of the WBA crown even after having paid the sanctioning fee.

Arum was at a loss to explain why Gamboa no longer has the WBA crown, and he was chagrined when asked about it.

"They're all They all do everything for their own business. Every one of them with the exception of maybe the IBF and the WBO. They're businesses, so they thought that it was in their best business interest to take the title away," said Arum.

"No one's going to waste time to going into court and to try to fight it. This whole thing is beginning to be nonsense with all of these organizations. So who can waste time on following it up."

Gamboa said he was disappointed.

 "I feel sad that they took the belts away from me. When I fought Solis, it was for the [IBF] belt, and now, I don't have a belt. But it's really not about the belts," said Gamboa.

"It's about seeing who the best is out there. I think that de Leon is a very good fighter and a very good boxer, but I'm not here to talk. I'm show it on Sept. 10 in the ring, and from there, we'll go on."

HBO TO AIR KLITSCHKO-ADAMEK ON TAPE-DELAY

Arum said that HBO will air a same-day delayed broadcast of a heavyweight title defense by 40-year-old Vitali Klitschko (42-2, 39 KOs) against 34-year-old Tomasz Adamek (43-1, 28 KOs) from Wroclaw, Poland.

Klitschko is coming off a first-round stoppage of Cuban-born Odlanier Solis (17-1, 12 KOs), a former 2004 Olympic gold medalist whom Klitsckho faced in March.

The triumph was Klitschko's sixth defense of the crown he earned with an eighth-round knockout of Nigerian-born former titleholder Samuel Peter in October 2008, and his 10th straight victory during a run that has included eight knockouts.

Adamek is coming off April's unanimous decision over Mike Tyson-conqueror Kevin McBride at his adopted home of the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.

The win was the sixth straight as a heavyweight and the 14th consecutive triumph overall by Adamek, who has not lost since February 2007 when he was dethroned as WBC light heavyweight titlist by Chad Dawson (30-1, 17 KOs).

Adamek is after his first crown since winning the IBF cruiser weight belt by split-decision over Steve Cunningham in December 2008 and defending it twice.

 

Lem Satterfield can be reached at lem.satterfield@gmail.com

Around the web