David Haye has confirmed retirement plans will be put on hold if he is offered a title shot at one of the all-conquering Klitschko brothers.
Former WBA heavyweight holder Haye had always maintained he would quit the sport before his 31st birthday, on October 13, 2011.
But the possibility of a return against The RING and current four-belt champion Wladimir Klitschko, who easily beat Haye on points back in July, or a first crack at the Ukrainian’s older bother Vitali, the WBC holder, has persuaded the British star to think again.
And Haye, from Bermondsey, south London, also revealed how informal talks with former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis, while on holiday recently, contributed to the change of heart.
"If I am given a rematch or Vitali will fight me, then I will postpone my retirement for six months," Haye (25-2, 23 knockouts) told German daily newspaper Bild. "I've reconsidered everything after talking to my family and a meeting with Lennox Lewis in Montego Bay, Jamaica.
"We chilled out there and Lennox gave me some tips on how to beat Vitali – just like he did in 2003. Vitali should give me the chance…if he dares.”
Haye, a former world cruiserweight champion, lost a one-sided unanimous decision against Wladimir earlier in the summer when most reckoned he looked way out of his depth. However, he remains defiant about that horror show in Hamburg.
“Wladimir couldn't put me down and he had the referee, judges and fans on his side. I had no real chance,” said the Englishman.