Lem Satterfield

Golden Boy to sign Alexander?

RingTV.com has learned that there is a high likelihood that Golden Boy Promotions will sign former WBC/IBF junior welterweight titleholder Devon Alexander this weekend while and manager Kevin Cunningham are in attendance at the MGM Grand for Saturday night’s HBO Pay Per View televised clash between unbeaten Floyd Mayweather Jr. and WBC welterweight beltholder Victor Ortiz.

A 24-year-old southpaw and a promotional free agent who will rise into the welterweight ranks in the fall, Alexander (22-1, 13 KOs) and Cunningham, of St. Louis, Mo., were spotted in the lobby of the MGM Grand.

Although Alexander has been promoted by Don King, their contract has expired, and they were known to be boaching the fighters’ options with other promoters.

Top Rank CEO Bob Arum and Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer each expressed interest in promoting Alexander.

Schaefer could not be reached, as he was attending Friday’s weigh-in for Mayweather-Ortiz, but he has spoken to RingTV.com concerning Alexander in the past.

“I think that he’s a very talented fighter. I have met him a couple of times at some of our fights,” said Schaefer, who promotes WBA and IBF junior welterweight beltholder Amir Khan (26-1, 18 KOs) of England.

“Devon Alexander is a very polite and nice young man outside of the ring and he comes across very well. So he’s definitely a fighter which we would be interested in.”

A popular attraction in his native St. Louis, Alexander’s bouts routinely pack local arenas in his hometown.

“I think that he’s highly marketable and he has a built-in fan base. Very few fighters can sell the amount of tickets that Devon Alexander can,” said Schaefer in a past interview.

“I have not had any conversation with Alexander or his manager, Kevin Cunningham. But I definitely will, over the coming weeks, reach out to them and see if there is an interest in working together.”

At his best, Alexander was a brilliant boxer-puncher at 140 pounds.

With those skills, Alexander scored consecutive wins over former beltholders DeMarcus Corley, Junior Witter and Juan Urango. Witter and Urango were stopped for the first time in their respective careers — each in the eighth-round — in August of 2009 and March 2010 for the WBC and IBF belts.

But Alexander soon began to struggle to make the 140-pound limit, a weight at which he had competed since his amateur days.

Instead of being able to move opponents with his power — as he did in dropping Urango — Alexander suddenly appeared to be slapping with his punches.

That seemed the case during Alexander’s next fight in August of 2010, a disputed unanimous decision over Ukrainian-born former WBA beltholder Andriy Kotelnik, who, at times out-worked and out-landed Alexander.

In January, Alexander lost his crown by 11th-round technical decision to WBO and WBC titlist Tim Bradley (27-0, 11 KOs). Alexander rebounded with last month’s narrow 10-round decision win over hard-hitting Lucas Matthysse (28-2, 26 KOs).

 

Lem Satterfield can be reached at lem.satterfield@gmail.com

Around the web