Lem Satterfield

Manager says Golden Boy pulled Perez

Eloy Perez was set to face Adrien Broner in a clash of unbeatens for the WBO belt as late as earlier this week before Golden Boy Promotions pulled him from the fight, according to Perez’s manager, Kathy Garcia. 

Garcia’s assertion counters that of Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer, who told RingTV.com, “Perez is not taking the fight, so we’re working on some other names with the WBO.

The 22-year-old Broner (21-0, 17 KOs) was the mandatory challenger to 28-year-old Ricky Burns (39-2, 9 KOs) of Scotland, who was to make his third defense in Broner’s home town of Cincinnati’s U.S. Bank Arena.

Riding a 17-fight winning streak, Burns was slated to face Broner on HBO, but vacated the title after citing an inability to make the division’s 130-pound limit.

Garcia said that Perez initially turned down two separate purse offers that he thought were “unfair,” but that her fighter was prepared to go ahead with the bout as late as Monday of this week.

“Actually Eloy accepted the fight. We said that he would have fought Broner for the same purse Broner was getting, but they would have had to move the venue from Cincinnati. They said that they couldn’t do it, and I said, ‘Well fight somebody else,’” said Garcia.

“We felt like they were setting it up so that everything was in Broner’s favor, and Eloy’s their fighter too, so I don’t know how that would go down. We thought that the whole fight was off the table because they were adamant that the fight had to be in Cincinnati, and they were not going to raise the purse.”

But Garcia said she received a call from Golden Boy match maker Roberto Diaz on Sunday offering a change of venue but also a lower purse.

“I got a call saying that there was a chance to change the venue, maybe to California, San Jose, or someplace in that area,” said Garcia. “But they lowered the purse, so we said, ‘No.’ They came back with a counter that included the purse and part of the gate, and at that point, we said that could work out.”

“I got a call saying that there was a chance to change the venue, maybe to California, Santa Fe, or someplace in that area,” said Garcia. “But they lowered the purse, so we said, ‘No.’”

Garcia said Golden Boy told her that “they have other plans for Eloy, which is fair,” she said. “The only thing wanted to do was to make sure that people don’t think that Eloy was ducking the fight.”

 

Lem Satterfield can be reached at lem.satterfield@gmail.com

Around the web