THE RING’s No. 3-ranked welterweight Andre Berto will make a defense of his IBF crown against hard-punching Randall Bailey at a site and on a date to be determined, and contingent on promoter Lou DiBella securing some final details, DiBella told RingTV.com on Wednesday.
Berto (28-1, 22 KOs), a former WBC beltholder, won the IBF title last month with a fifth-round stoppage of Jan Zaveck, who was knocked out for the first time in his career.
The victory helped Berto to rebound from a unanimous decision loss of his WBC title to Victor Ortiz in April.
“We made a deal with Randall Bailey, and we have about 15 days to produce bout agreements all of the relevant information to the IBF and to get television interested,” said DiBella.
“Bailey is a huge puncher, and he’s earned the right to be there. He’s got two big wins against welterweights. I have two weeks to get a date and to make those deals.”
The 37-year-old Bailey (42-7, 36 KOs) has won his past three welterweight fights, one of them by knockout, since, himself, being stopped by Juan Urango in the 11th-round of a failed bid to earn the IBF’s junior welterweight title in August of 2009.
Bailey is coming off a 10-round unanimous decision over Yoryi Estrella last month.
“Berto has a mandatory against Bailey and that’s the situation that we’re in,” said DiBella. “Bailey could really be a crowd-pleasing fight, because Bailey is one of the hardest punchers in all of boxing.”
Lem Satterfield can be reached at email@example.com