Lem Satterfield

WBC claims no involvment in Alvarez-Solis dispute

WBC secretary general Mauricio Sulaiman said his organization has no jurisdiction to get involved with a dispute between WBC junior middleweight beltholder Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and IBF junior flyweight titleholder Ulises Solis that may have resulted in the latter suffering a broken jaw and a broken tooth.

Although Alvarez (38-0-1, 28 KOs) admits that he was present when Solis (34-2-3, 21 KOs) was beaten recently, Alvarez said that it was one of his brothers who actually attacked the smaller man, according to a report by BoxingScene.com.

Solis reportedly identified Saul Alvarez as the man who attacked and beat him in Guadalajara, Mexico, where they both were training, this, after accusing Alvarez of making advances toward his girlfriend.

“It’s not true at all. The fight wasn’t with me. It was with one of my brothers,” Alvarez told a Mexican reporter. “But not with me. I was there. I just want to clarify that it’s not true.”

During a Wednesday press conference promoting his HBO-televised clash with former two-time welterweight titleholder Kermit Cintron (33-4-1, 28 KOs) on Nov. 26, Alvarez re-emphasized his role in the incident.

“This response is for everyone. It is the only thing that I’m going to say. I wouldn’t be here if I had something to fear. I would have cancelled everything,” said Alvarez. “I am a young man who has never been involved in scandals or problems. And like I said, I would not be here if I had something to fear. That is all I can tell you. I have nothing to fear.”

Sulaiman said the WBC would only intervene in the event that Alvarez is found to have been guilty of the charges.

“As far as the WBC, our position is that was a problem between the two of them, and unless there is a legal issue, the WBC has nothing to do with that. That has absolutely nothing to do with boxing,” Sulaiman told RingTV.com

“There is nothing that we have to do or not do. Alvarez says that it’s not true, so we have nothing to investigate. If they did have a problem, that is something for them to resolve. If there is a legal issue, then WBC would enter into the situation.”

Alvarez-Cintron is part of a split-site tripleheader that also features unbeaten junior lightweight contender Adrien Broner facing hard-hitting Vicente Martin Rodriguez of Buenos Aires, Argentina.

The 22-year-old Broner (21-0, 17 KOs) will fight for the WBO’s vacant belt against the 26-year-old Rodriguez (34-2, 19 KOs) from Broner’s hometown in Cincinnati.

Rodriguez is 13-0-1, with nine knockouts, since losing by unanimous decision to William Kitchett over 10 rounds in August of 2008.

Also on the tripleheader from Cincinnati will be featherweight prospect Gary Russell Jr. (18-0, 10 KOs) against an opponent to be determined.

Alvarez will face Cintron, who has battled to a disputed draw with RING middleweight titleholder Sergio Martinez (48-2-2, 27 KOs), been stopped twice by ex-beltholder Antonio Margarito (38-7, 27 KOs) and lost a controversial decision to former two-time beltholder Paul Williams (39-2, 27 KOs).

The hard-hitting Cintron is coming off of a 10-round unanimous decision over Antwone Smith (20-3-1, 12 KOs) in August that helped him to rebound from a loss to Carlos Molina (19-4-2, 6 KOs) in July.

Alvarez is coming off last month’s sixth-round knockout of Alfonso Gomez (23-5-1, 12 KOs).

 

Lem Satterfield can be reached at lem.satterfield@gmail.com

Around the web