Lem Satterfield

Anthony Peterson, Guerrero, Harrison win on Khan-Peterson undercard

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Lightweight standout  Anthony Peterson used a steady body attack before rising to the head, backing up his game rival over the eight-round duration of Saturday night’s spirited unanimous decision against fellow Washingtonian, Daniel Attah, at the Washington Convention Center.

Peterson (31-1, 20 KOs) won by scores of 80-72, for a complete shuthout of Attah, (26-9-1, 9 KOs), of Nigeria, who was coming off a sixth-round knockout loss to Roman “Rocky” Martinez in October.

“It was great to be back to be back in town after 15 months off, especially in front of my hometown crowd. I wanted to do well for D.C. I wanted to go for the knockout, but a win is a win. Attah is very tough. I got off some great shots on him. But he was really crafty,” said Peterson.

“Daniel’s a great fighter, and I take nothing away from him. What this tells me is that I need to be in the ring soon, like right away. No later than Februrary. I’m used to fighting more often than I have. I’m used to fighting six, eight times a year.”

Anthony Peterson was in his first bout since suffering his lone defeat in his last fight by seventh-round disqualification to RING No. 1-rated lightweight and former WBA beltholder Brandon Rios (29-0-1, 22 KOs) in September of last year.

“For having taken 12 to 15 months off, it was good to get some rounds in tonight,” said Peterson’s manager and trainer, Barry Hunter. “For the next fight and the fight atfer that, we’ll start to pick it up, more and more.”

Anthony Peterson-Attah took place on the undercard of an HBO-televised main event during which his 27-year-brother and RING No. 6-rated junior welterweight Lamont Peterson challenges RING No. 1-rated counterpart and IBF/WBA titleholder Amir Khan (26-1, 18 KOs), of England.

Popular middleweight prospect Fernando Guerrero (22-1, 17 KOs), of Salisbury, Md., dropped his rival with a right hand, and then, once again, for good, with a left hook 45 seconds into the fifth and final round of his stoppage of  Robert Kliewer (11-14-2, 5 KOs), of Maplewood, Minn.

A 25-year-old southpaw, Guerrero marked his successful return to the ring for the first time since June, when he was stopped in the fourth round by 40-year-old journeyman Grady Brewer.

In a near-upset, lightweight Jamie Kavanagh (8-0-1, 3 KOs), of Hollywood, Calif., battled to a six-round draw with unheralded Ramesis Gil (6-3-5, 5 KOs), of San Juan, Puerto Rico, a bout that ended with Kavanagh bleeding profusely from a cut over his right eye.

In the evening’s third bout, local fan favorite and welterweight Dusty Harrison (3-0), of Washington, D.C., scored three knockdowns with the same right hand shot to the temple, the final one causing referee Billy Thomas to step in and end things at 2:46 of Harrison’s first-round knockout of fellow Washingtonian, Terrell Davis (0-5).

“As soon as I landed the first right hand, I knew that I could land it over and over. I work really hard for this one,” said the 17-year-old Harrison, of the tough area of Southeast Washington. “I like fighting in front of a lot of people. I think that I do better under those conditions. I wasn’t nervous at all.”

Harrison is managed by Sharif Salim, who also handles heavyweight prospect Seth Mitchell, (23-0-1, 17 KOs), of Brandywine, Md., who will face Timur Ibragimov (30-3-1, 16 KOs), of Uzbekistan, in Saturday night’s co-feature.

“Dusty is from Washington, D.C., where he was born and raised in a very tough neighborhood. His mother was born in Puerto Rico, and his father is Caucasion, and he’s all mean,” said Salim. “He’s the youngest professional fighter in America, he is 3-0 right now, and he just got his first knockout, so we’re very pleased with him.”

A graduate of Gwynn Park High where he played football as a star linebacker, Mitchell was named Maryland’s Defensive Player of the Year as a senior.

In the night’s first bout, Joshua Davis (2-0, 1 KO), of White Plains, Md.,  earned a unanimous, four-round decision over lightweight counterpart Chris Russell (2-8-1, 1 KO) of Shattuck, Ok.

In the second fight, another lightweight fighter from White Plains, Terron Grant (2-0, 1 KO), took only 70 seconds to batter Dashawn Autry (0-2) of Garland, N.C., forcing referee Michelle Myers to step in, protect Autry and wave an end to the bout.

In the seventh fight, Thomas Williams (6-0, 4 KOs), of Fort Washington, MD., dropped his rival twice with first-round left hooks, then battered him in the corner of the second and final round before the corner of Reynaldo Rodriguez (6-3-1, 3 KOs), of Woonsocket, R.I., waved the towel, leading to a ringside doctor waving an end to the bout.



Lem Satterfield can be reached at lemuel.satterfield@gmail.com

Around the web