Floyd Mayweather Jr. was fined $2,500, sentenced 90 days in jail starting on January 6, must complete 100 hours of community service and undergo 12 months of treatment in a domestic violence program as a result of a guilty plea to a charge of misdemeanor battery domestic violence and no contest on two counts of harassment.
Sentenced by Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Melissa Saragosa on Wednesday, the 34-year-old boxing star avoided an evidentiary hearing on felony grand larceny and coercion and robbery charges in addition to misdemeanor domestic battery and harassment charges stemming from an argument involving his ex-girlfriend and two of their children last September, according to the Associated Press.
If convicted of all of the charges, Mayweather could have faced 34 years in state prison.
According to the AP, prosecutor Lisa Luzaich told the judge Mayweather has been in trouble before and hasn’t been punished.
But defense attorney Karen Winckler argued that the public would benefit more if Mayweather performs 100 hours of community service with children, and said that she is considering an appeal.
According to the Las Vegas Review-Journal, Mayweather also has agreed to plead no contest next week to a misdemeanor battery charge stemming from an incident involving security guard Shayne Smith in November of last year, prosecutors said.
It is unclear what effect Mayweather’s circumstances will have on his future as a fighter.
Mayweather (42-0, 26 knockouts) is coming off a fourth-round knockout of Victor Ortiz that earned him the WBC’s welterweight title belt in September.
Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer had said that the MGM Grand was on hold for that date. Schaefer declined comment on Wednesday.
In a report from RingTV.com on Nov. 27, Top Rank Inc. CEO Bob Arum confirmed that he was fielding offers from potential investment groups that were looking to stage the megabout between Pacquiao and Mayweather, THE RING’s No. 1 and, No. 2 fighters pound-for-pound.
“I have absolutely no comment on the subject,” said Arum. “None at all.”
Also, Pacquiao’s adviser, Michael Koncz, visited Mayweather during a light workout at the fighter’s Las Vegas-based gym last month. Koncz could not immediately be reached for comment.
Past negotions for the Mayweather-Pacquiao megabout twice failed over Mayweather’s insistence on Olympic-style drug testing.
Prior to his past two victories over Shane Mosley in May and over Ortiz, Mayweather required that his opponents undergo random testing of blood and urine that was conducted by United States Anti-Doping Agency.
Pacquiao has an ongoing lawsuit against Mayweather, accusing him of defamation and asserting that the fighter has continued to insinuate publicly that Pacquiao’s success over eight weight classes is the result of having used performance-enhancing drugs.
But Arum has claimed that drug testing never was an issue for Pacquiao, and has told RingTV.com that the details of the lawsuit can be worked out through negotiations.
Lem Satterfield can be reached at email@example.com