Peterson earned a career-best $650,000 to Khan’s $1.1 million in their first bout, and is reportedly being considered for a clash opposite WBO welterweight beltholder Manny Pacquiao, along with WBC welterweight titleholder Floyd Mayweather Jr., WBA junior middleweight beltholder Miguel Cotto, WBO lightweight titleholder Juan Manuel Marquez, and WBO junior welterweight titleholder Tim Bradley.
Does the seven-figure offer still stand for a return bout with Peterson?
“I think that what I would like to do is to get together with Team Peterson which is, hopefully, going to be acceptable to everybody. I want to deal with it in respectful manner,” said Schaefer.
“What has been said has been said and done. I just want to get this fight done. That’s my hope and that’s my wish. Let’s get it done in a respectful manner. That’s my hope is that we can sit down with Team Peterson and get this done in a respectful manner.”
Peterson’s manager and trainer, Barry Hunter, declined comment on Thursday. But on Wednesday, Hunter issued the statement below.
Barry Hunter’s statement:
We are in this process of dealing with these unfounded protests. It would be an understatement to characterize Lamont as being disappointed in the unprofessional manner in which Khan is attempting to discredit his performance in the ring and victory.
We were raised to conduct ourselves where Champions display professionalism, both in victory and defeat. Lamont previously tasted defeat and handled it the way it should be handled – – he worked harder on areas that needed improvement to maximize his performance in the ring. Now, he is World Champion.
Khan blames everyone and everything but his performance and lack of ability to make adjustments in the ring for his loss. He claims that the Ring Announcer privately stated he won, then that the referee’s discretionary actions should be overruled, then a mystery man in a black hat with no association to the Peterson Camp somehow affected the outcome of the bout, and also that the judges did not score the Bout correctly.
Each claim is boldly false, but because Golden Boy and Khan have the financial resources to file protests and lawyers to create questionable accusations we are forced to address these issues. We will not let these foul tactics take away from Lamont’s hard work, dedication and monumental victory. Furthermore, since Khan continues to focus on a man at ringside I want to be very clear– Mustafa Ameen is in no way, nor has he ever been affiliated or associated with anyone within Team Peterson. That includes myself, Lamont and Anthony Peterson.
If the media reports are true, the WBA President personally believes there should be a direct rematch of the fight. This was oddly stated before an official review had taken place, as well as an official response or decision from the WBA review committee had been presented regarding the various protests and our formal submission. That makes me wonder what procedures were actually followed before the WBA President made these public statements? The Rules should be followed by everyone.
Khan complains that the referee’s decisions should be overturned even though he continued to push Lamont throughout the fight. We believe the knockdown against Lamont was questionable but the rules give the referee that discretion on that call and we respect it.
Photos by Naoki Fukuda
Photo by Delane Rouse, Hogan Photos/Golden Boy Promotions
Lem Satterfield can be reached at email@example.com