Lem Satterfield

Lem’s latest: Peterson appeals WBA; Mystery Man, IBF respond

Team Peterson has filed an official appeal against the WBA’s order for an immediate rematch with Amir Khan, whom Lamont Peterson dethroned as IBF/WBA junior welterweight beltholder by disputed split-decision last month. 

The move comes one day after Golden Boy Promotions withdrew its appeal with the IBF, cancelling a Wednesday hearing with that organization in New Jersey. Golden Boy and Khan had been seeking to overturn the victory or get an order for an immediate rematch on the grounds that the fight was poorly officiated and that there were scorecard descrepancies.

(Click here to see the documents filed as part of the appeal)

However, Khan’s appeal to the WBA is still in place.

“The Peterson team’s focus is on the WBA’s decision mandating an immediate rematch,” read the statement issued by Peterson’s publicist, Andre Johnson.

“A comprehensive written appeal has been submitted to the WBA and we are confident that the WBA will overturn its decision mandating an immediate rematch and recognize Lamont Peterson as the true and final WBA Jr. Welterweight World Champion.”

WBA President Gilberto Mendoza granted Peterson 10 days from Jan. 14 to appeal the organization’s decision.

KHAN WANTS THE REMATCH

Khan went to his Twitter account to express his disappointment that Peterson is appealing the WBA’s mandate for an immediate rematch.

“Now I’ve heard Peterson is appealing againts the WBA ruling a rematch,” wrote Khan. “He said he ws gnna giv me a rematch afta the fight so y go against it?”

PETERSON, TRAINER REACT TO THE DROPPED APPEAL

“I want to take this opportunity to thank the fans for all the positive things that I’ve read over the internet and messages received via twitter@kingpete26,” said Peterson. “I truly did not know how much support I had all over the world. Now that this is over I am ready to move on.”

Peterson’s manager and trainer, Barry Hunter, also weighed in.

“We are extremely pleased that Golden Boy and Amir Khan withdrew their protest with the IBF. As we have said all along, we were not going to be forced to make a decision by one person or entity and we will continue to do what is in the best interest of Lamont Peterson,” said Hunter.

“The Peterson team continuously responded to each of Khan’s accusations and the absurdity of the claims. Our reply addressed the rules and also Khan’s inability to make adjustments and his performance in the ring, as opposed to placing blame on almost everyone associated with the bout.”

Hunter believes that the move should remove any questions concerning Peterson’s championship status.

“Team Peterson feels this development serves as a form of vindication as it relates to the ruling of the IBF that Lamont is the IBF junior welterweight champion of the world,” said Hunter. “Furthermore, this ruling essentially turns back the clock to December 11th and provides a number of options for Lamont to explore as he continues his professional boxing career.”

khan vs peterson_4

Around the web