Cotto’s advisor, Gaby Penagaricano, could not immediatley be reached, although he has also acknowledged that Cotto has had talks with the Mayweather camp about a potential fight.
A winner of three straight fights, all by knockout, since being stopped in the 12th round by Pacquiao in November of 2009, Cotto said that he would face Mayweather if the Pacquiao fight does not come to fruition.
“I will not fight below 150 pounds. Mayweather Jr. said he has no problem going up to 154 to fight me. Pacquiao is the one who objected and wants me to once again come down to a weight between 145 and 147 pounds,” said Cotto, in an interview with Raul Alzaga of Primera Hora that was translated on BoxingScene.com.
“If Pacquiao had no trouble going up to 150 to fight [Antonio] Margarito, why is there a set requirement for me to go down again? Does he fear me? If Pacquiao wants to fight me again, it must be above 150 pounds. I will not continue to sacrifice my body to lose weight.”
Mayweather is slated to begin an 87-day jail sentence staring on June 1, and has targeted May 5 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas for his next bout.
Arum and Koncz, meanwhile, have dismissed May 5 for Mayweather-Pacquiao, citing their camp’s desire to construct a 40,000-seat, temporary outdoor venue near the Las Vegas Strip in late May or early-June to maximize revenue.
Marquez told RingTV.com that he was targeting Peterson, who dethroned Amir Khan for his belts by disputed split-decision last month.
A victory over Peterson would make Marquez only the third Mexican fighter to win a fourth title over as many different weight divisions, a mark that was first achieved in September when Erik Morales scored a 10th-round TKO over Pablo Cesar Cano for the vacant WBC junior welterweight belt.
Marquez is coming off November’s disputed majority decision loss to Pacquiao, against whom he had battled through a draw and a split-decision loss over the course of two prior meetings.