IS AMIR KHAN MOVING ON?
Schaefer told RingTV.com that Amir Khan will not wait for Peterson, who dethroned him as IBF/WBA titleholder last month by disputed split-decison.
Khan’s manager, Asif Vali, told RingTV.com less than a week ago that the fighter expects to return to the ring on April 19 on HBO likely in Las Vegas, with other dates including May 5 and May 19 being considered.
The WBA has ordered an immediate rematch in response to an appeal by Khan, although it appears that Peterson will entertain the Marquez fight.
Peterson earned $650,000 against $1.1 million for Khan, but has been offered a substantial amount more by Schaefer in the event that he would take a return bout.
“It’s obvious that Lamont Peterson has his mind set or that he believes that he’s going to get a fight with Marquez, so I think that it’s going to be very difficult for him to make the same amount of money that he could make against Amir Khan. I think that he’s probably going to realize that too late,” said Schaefer.
“I think that he’s going to be another one of those guys who turns down fights and they’re going to end up with less. I think that he’s supposedly entering the Pacquiao sweepstakes, which we’ve all read about. Again, Peterson can do what he wants to do.”
As for Khan, Schaefer said he will have options, although he declined to name them.
“With Khan, he’s a very exciting fighter and the networks are after him like there’s no tomorrow. Amir will be in a big fight and that’s all that I’m going to say at this point,” said Schaefer.
“We’re working on some very good stuff. We did what we could to make it happen. We offered him $1.5 million and we offered him a 50-50 split of world wide revenues. If he doesn’t want to do it, then he doesn’t want to do it. You can’t force them.”
SETH MITCHELL COULD RETURN IN APRIL
Heavweight prospect Seth Mitchell, who is coming off last month’s HBO-televised second-round knockout of Timur Ibragimov, is being targeted for the under card of the rematch between RING light heavyweight champ Bernard Hopkins and Chad Dawson on April 28 at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, Schaefer said.
“There is a possibility that he could be on the card with Hopkins-Dawson on April 28,” said Schaefer. “That’s what could happen with Seth Mitchell.”
In stopping Ibragimov (30-4, 1, 22 KOs), Mitchell (24-0-1, 18 KOs) earned his 22nd straight win and his 17th knockout during that run.
VICTOR ORTIZ, ANDRE BERTO TALK THE TALK
In the latest promotional video touting his Showtime-televised rematch with ex-IBF welterweight titlewinner, Andre Berto on Feb. 11, former WBC welterweight beltholder Victor Ortiz explains why he is taking the return bout.
“I’m giving him a rematch only because he’s my last resort,” said Ortiz, who will meet Berto at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
“That, and the fact that even after I really thought about it, after that fight that night that I beat him, I wasn’t happy in the locker room. I could have done better.”
Ortiz beat Berto by close unanimous decision for the WBC belt in a clash that featured two knockdowns by each fighter in April, but was dethroned follow a fourth-round knockout loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in September.
Berto rebounded with September’s triumph over Jan Zaveck by fifth-round knockout, stopping Zaveck for the first time in Zaveck’s career and earning the since-vacated IBF belt.
“I’m extremely motivated,” said Berto. “I gave up the title just to make this happen. He gots to go. It’s time to go.”
LUCAS MATTHYSSE-HUMBER SOTO ON TAP?
Schaefer said that a bout between hard-hitting Argentinian junior welterweight Lucas Matthysse (29-2, 27 KOs) and ex-titleholder Humberto Soto (57-7-2, 34 KOs) is being considered for late April. Soto is riding a 14-bout winning streak that includes six knockouts.
Photo by Naoki Fukuda
Photo by Tom Hogan, Hogan Photos/Golden Boy Promotions
Photo by Delane Rouse, Hogan Photos/Golden Boy Promotions
Lem Satterfield can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org