The highly-anticipated rematch between Andre Berto and Victor Ortiz slated for Feb. 11 was officially cancelled on Tuesday by network officials and promoters Golden Boy Promotions and Lou DiBella Entertainment due to a ruptured left biceps suffered by Berto in training.
According to a story relayed to Berto’s nutritionist, Victor Conte, the fighter’s trainer, Tony Morgan, said that the injury occurred after Berto “heard a pop” while throwing a short left hook to the head while sparring against Tureano Johnson on Monday.
“It looks like he will require surgery,” although Berto got “second opinion from the Los Angeles Lakers’ team doctor,” Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer said on Tuesday.
But according to a report by Kevin Iole of Yahoo!Sports, the Ortiz-Berto rematch could yet be rescheduled, or else Ortiz might be considered as a potential opponent for ex-IBF/WBA junior welterweight beltholder Amir Khan.
“There are injury provisions in the contract and if he would be ready to go in a reasonable time period, we would see if we could zoom in on a date in an attempt to reschedule it,” Schaefer told Yahoo!Sports. “But if the injury was more extensive than we thought, or if the surgery is more complicated and he’d be out an extended period of time, we’d have to go in a different direction.”
Khan is pursuing a rematch with Lamont Peterson, who dethroned him as titleholder by disputed split-decision last month. Peterson is also considering an offer from Top Rank CEO Bob Arum to match him against Juan Manuel Marquez at the Dallas Cowboys’ Stadium in April or July.
“Khan-Victor would be a great fight, for sure,” Schaefer told Yahoo!Sports.
Photos from Andre Berto’s Twitter account
Lem Satterfield can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org