Harry Pratt

Chisora released after arrest for bust-up with Haye

German police have released British heavyweight Dereck Chisora without charge following his dramatic arrest in Munich on Sunday, over his part in an extraordinary press-conference brawl with former titleholder David Haye the previous night.

Chisora, who had lost a one-sided points decision to long-standing WBC champion Vladimir Klitschko on Saturday evening, was about to board a plane back to the UK when police swooped on him at Munich airport.

The 28-year-old Englishman, along with trainer Don Charles and several other members of his entourage, was then led away for questioning over his part in a vicious scrap with Haye – which kicked off during the media conference that followed the Klitschko-Chisora title bout. Police confirmed Chisora had been arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm and threatening behaviour but later allowed him to walk free. They still want to speak to Haye over the incident but so far have been unable to track down the one-time WBA champion.

Haye, 31, who had been ringside in Germany working for Box Nation, began trading insults from the floor with countryman Chisora, goading him that he had now lost three on the spin, before the situation turned extremely ugly as the latter went into the audience to confront his tormentor.

When the two Brits squared up all hell broke loose with Haye appearing to butt Chisora, who in turn retaliated with a number of punches. During the scuffle, which lasted at least a minute, Adam Booth, Haye’s manager, who had been commentating for BBC radio, suffered a nasty cut to his head from a flying camera tripod, ironically thrown by his now-retired fighter.

Chisora, being restrained by his team, then accused Haye of ‘glassing’ him before threatening a number of times to kill him.

”I am going to physically shoot you, David Haye, ” yelled the man from Finchley, north London. Meanwhile, Vitali Klitschko stood there seemingly both bemused and amused by the staggering sequence unravelling before his eyes. The shameful episode is likely to lead to serious sanctions for Chisora and Haye from the British Boxing Board of Control, who immediately confirmed it will launch an investigation.

“Of course, we are extremely disappointed. It shouldn’t happen, it’s a sporting event. It was disgusting. We should be talking about Chisora’s fight with Klitschko, but we’re talking about what happened afterwards. We will have a hearing when both men return and deal with it accordingly, ” said BBBC general secretary Robert Smith.

Chisora’s manager Frank Warren believes Haye’s presence at the press conference was unnecessary, and responsible for sparking all the trouble. However, he condemned the unsavoury behaviour of all concerned.

“To blame Chisora for what happened is wrong. It takes two and it just got out of hand, ” said the British promoter. “It’s unacceptable and totally stupid. Dereck got hit with a bottle. The board of control will have a hearing and decide what to do.

”To be honest, with the benefit of hindsight, David Haye should not have come to the press conference. If he doesn’t come, then all of this probably wouldn’t happen. But it has and the board of control will now do something about it.”

Chisora already faces having part of his fight purse withheld by the WBC after slapping Klitschko in the face at the weigh-in ahead of what proved to be a decent showdown between the two. He also upset Klitschko’s older brother, RING heavyweight champion Wladimir, by spitting a mouthful of water in the Ukrainian’s face before the first bell had been sounded. Now some, including Sky Sports pundit Glenn McCrory, want the former Commonwealth and British holder suspended.

“My reaction is one of disgust. Chisora should have his licence taken away. He has behaved like a thug. He is everything we don’t want in the sport,” said former cruiserweight beltholder McCrory. “And what on earth was David Haye doing there? I thought he’d retired and gone to Hollywood. I, for one, wish he had. It’s a total disgrace and a dark day for British boxing.”

Around the web