Saul “Canelo” Alvarez was succinct when asked recently if he would want to face the winner of the May 5 matchup between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Miguel Cotto should he get defeat Sugar Shane Mosley on the undercard.
“They are two of the best,” said Alvarez, during a press conference promoting the HBO Pay Per View event on Thursday in Los Angeles. “I would want to fight either one.”
Alvarez, (39-0-1, 29 knockouts), who is 21, will be defending his WBC 154-pound title against Mosley (46-7-1, 39 KOs), who is 40, in the co-featured bout the main event between WBC welterweight beltholder Mayweather (42-0, 26 KOs) and WBA junior middleweight titleholder Cotto (37-2, 30 KOs).
If Alvarez is successful, a potential bout with Mayweather or Cotto is a distinct possibility, according to Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer.
“When you’re a fighter, you always want to measure yourself against the best. Canelo Alvarez is no exception in that. It’s amazing that he’s a 21-years young fighter who is a world champion who is the most popular fighter in Mexico today, and he wants to go and test himself against the best,” said Schaefer.
“Canelo is absolutely right that Mayweather and Cotto are the two best fighters in the world. So, who knows what’s going to happen? But it’s certainly a match up which I think at the right time would be huge.”
But when is the right time?
“Now, to speculate when the right time is, I don’t think that does anybody any good,” said Schaefer. “Let’s just wait for what is now an amazing card on May 5 with Mayweather and Cotto and Canelo and Mosley.”
ALVAREZ VS. MAYWEATHER-COTTO WINNER? SCHAEFER SAYS NOT SO FAST
Schaefer points to Mosley’s success against Latino fighters, his November of 2007 unanimous decision loss to Cotto, notwithstanding, as a reason not to overlook him against Alvarez.
Mosley also has twice beaten Oscar De La Hoya — the second time for both the WBC’s and WBA’s junior middleweight belts in September of 2003 — scored consecutive knockouts over former world champion Fernando Vargas in 2006, and stopped both Ricardo Mayorga and Antonio Margarito in 2008, and, 2009.
“Sugar Shane Mosley has made a career of beating Mexicans, and that’s where he is at his best in the ring, mentally. I’ve told Canelo, ‘don’t underestimate Sugar Shane Mosley,'” said Schaefer.
“Because you see what happened with Antonio Margarito, who underestimated him as did many others. Just enjoy the moment. I’m certainly looking forward to the event. And we’ll deal with what is next on May 6.”
Mosley lost one-sided unanimous decisions to Mayweather and WBO welterweight counter part, Manny Pacquiao, respectively, in his past two fights at the MGM Grand in May of 2010, and, May of last year. Those losses were sandwhiched around a junior middleweight draw with Sergio Mora in September of 2010.
Although his career has faltered, Mosley claims that he is ready for Alvarez.
“I’m fighting a good guy who is young and I care about his career,” said Mosley. “But I also care about my career. I’m at 100 percent, and that’s unfortunate for Canelo.”
Althought he has lost to both Mayweather and Cotto, Mosley did not speculate on who will win the main event.
“I fought both of the main event guys. I think it is going to be a tremendous fight and I am excited and honored to be on the undercard,” said Mosley. “I think Canelo and I could probably be a main event, but I am proud to be a part of this.”
COTTO EMBRACES DRUG TESTING
Negotiations for megabouts between Pacquiao, who is promoted by Top Rank Inc., and Mayweather, who is handled by Golden Boy Promotions, have twice failed over Mayweather’s insistance on Olympic-style random drug testing.
Prior to his past two victories over Mosley and Victor Ortiz, the latter, by fourth-round knockout for his current belt in September, Mayweather required that his opponents undergo Olympic-style random drug testing of urine and blood that was conducted by United States Anti-Doping Agency.
Now, it’s Cotto’s turn, and he said that he has no problem with it.
“Sport is about skills, condition and preparation. You have to be clean,” said Cotto. “If this sport can be cleaner, I’m a sportsman and I support making the sport cleaner.”
Mayweather and Cotto are the only fighters on the card who are contracted tol undergo the strict testing procedures, according to Schaefer.