HBO’s Sports Vice President of Programmming, Kery Davis, told RingTV.com on Monday that he and network officials are concerned that a lightweight fight between Brandon Rios and Yuriorkis Gamboa is not going to happen on the scheduled date of April 14 at the Mandalay Bay Hotel in Las Vegas.
Gamboa (21-0, 16 knockouts) failed to appear at two promotional press conferences last week that were attended by Rios (29-0-1, 16 KOs), his camp members and the fighters’ mutual promoter, Top Rank Inc.
The events took place in Miami on March 5 and Los Angeles on March 6, touting their proposed HBO-televised fight for the vacant WBA lightweight belt.
“Any time a fighter doesn’t show up to the two press conferences,” said Davis, “you have to be concerned that it’s not going to happen.”
In an exclusive interview with RingTV.com, Gamboa cited contractual issues and an unsigned bout agreement among his reasons for not being present at the press conferences.
“So from that standpoint, he certainly didn’t give anybody any confidence … So it’s fair to say that we have great concerns about whether or not the fight will happen.”
Gamboa’s attorney, Sekou Gary, told RingTV.com that the former Cuban Olympic gold medalist will not fight Rios unless he is “operating under terms that are satisfactory” regarding his contract with co-promoters Top Rank Inc. and Ahmet Oner.
On Monday, Gary declined comment “at this time.” Top Rank also could not immediatley be reached for comment.
Davis said that he has been informed by Top Rank that the organization is in discussions with Gamboa’s team members.
“In terms of where the fight stands, I know that Top Rank is obviously having conversations with Gamboa and his representatives,” said Davis.
“So, with that part, I don’t know or have any first-hand information as to where the fight stands except to say that obviously we have not been told that it has been resolved one way or the other.”