WBC welterweight titleholder Floyd Mayweather Jr. will be profiled in HBO’s debut feature, “Floyd Mayweather: Speaking Out” starting on April 21 in advance of his HBO Pay Per Per View clash with WBA 154-pound beltholder Miguel Cotto on May 5 from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
The program will be hosted by acclaimed author and academic, Michael Eric Dyson, as Mayweather (42-0, 26 knockouts) is pursues his eighth title belt over five weight divisions against Cotto (37-2, 30 KOs).
“With his extraordinary record, Floyd Mayweather has proven himself one of the ring’s all-time greats,” said Ken Hershman, president, HBO Sports.
“Now, we are giving viewers an opportunity to see another side of the man. Michael Eric Dyson is an exceptional journalist, and he’ll explore what Floyd has to say on a number of issues.”
The 30-minute show will begin at 10:30 p.m. ET/PT, and air during multiple times that are listed below.
Other HBO playdates are April 23 (8:15 a.m., 7:00 p.m.); April 25 (8:30 p.m., 2:15 a.m.); April 28 (10:30 a.m., 1:00 a.m.); April 29 (8:30 a.m.); and April 30 (11:30 p.m.). The show will also be shown on May 1 (12:30 a.m.), and May 3 (2:00 p.m., 12:45 a.m.)
On HBO2, the program will air on April 26 (5:15 p.m.) and April 29 (12:25 a.m.); as well as May 2 (5:45 p.m.); May 4 (11:00 a.m.); and May 5 (4:30 p.m. ET/1:30 p.m. PT). The special will also be available on HBO On Demand and HBO GO.
DEVON ALEXANDER RETURNS ON AUG. 18 ON SHOWTIME
Former WBC/IBF junior welterweight titleholder Devon Alexander (23-1, 13 KOs) will return to the ring in a Showtime-televised bout on Aug. 18 against an opponent to be determined, according to Golden Boy Promotions CEO, Richard Schaefer.
“August 18th sounds good to us. That’s what I’m hearing, but I haven’t talked to Richard yet,” said Alexander’s trainer, Kevin Cunningham. “I spoke to Richard a week after our last fight, and he said that he would be shooting for August. I’m just waiting to hear back from Richard.”
A southpaw, Alexander is coming off of a one-sided, unanimous decision over Marcos Maidana (31-3, 28 KOs) during his welterweight debut on Feb. 25, which was 15 days after Alexander’s 25th birthday before a partisan crowd at the Scottrade Center in his native St. Louis, Mo.
In victory, Alexander rebounded from a series of lackluster performances, having lost his WBC junior welterweight belt following an 11th-round technical decision loss to unbeaten Tim Bradley in January of last year, and escaped with a 10-round decision win over Lucas Matthysse in June.
Prior to facing Bradley, Alexander won a disputed decision over former titleholder Andriy Kotelnik in August of 2009, and blamed extreme weight loss for the efforts against Kotelnik, Bradley and Matthysse.
VICTOR ORTIZ-ANDRE BERTO II HEADED FOR STAPLES’ CENTER
The rematch Ortiz (29-3-2, 22 KOs) and Berto (28-1, 22 KOs) will take place at the Staples Center in Los Angeles on June 23, said Schaefer.
Berto has returned to training from a ruptured left biceps that was suffered during a sparring session in late January, forcing the postponement of the return bout with Ortiz that was slated for February.
The first fight with Ortiz, last April, featured two knockdowns by each fighter before Berto lost his WBC belt by a unanimous decision.
Ortiz was subsequently dethroned after a fourth-round knockout loss to Mayweather in September, the same month during which Berto rebounded by beating IBF welterweight titleholder Jan Zaveck by fifth-round knockout.
Berto gave up the IBF belt to face Ortiz in a non-title fight.
LUCAS MATTHYSSE-HUMBERTO SOTO SLATED FOR ORTIZ-BERTO II UNDERCARD
The Ortiz-Berto II undercard will feature a bout between hard-hitting Matthysse (30-2, 28 KOs) and ex-titleholder Humberto Soto (57-7-2, 34 KOs), assuming Soto gets beyond Saturday night’s clash with Brazilian Claudinei Lacerda (14-2, 10 KOs) in Cancun, Quintana Roo, Mexico.
Soto is riding a 14-bout winning streak that includes six knockouts, and Matthysse is after his third straight stoppage victory since losing to Alexander by split-decision in June.
TOMASZ ADAMEK-EDDIE CHAMBERS TO MEET ON JUNE 16
Heavyweight contenders Tomasz Adamek (45-2, 28 KOs) and Eddie Chambers (36-2, 18 KOs) have signed contracts to face each other on the June 16 broadcast of NBC Sports Network’s Fight Night from the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., Main Events President, Kathy Duva, informed RingTV.com.
Adamek is coming off on unanimous decision victory over the Domincan Republic’s Nagy Aguilera, and returns to the site where he is immensly popular at the Prudential Center.
The win over Aguilera helped Adamek to rebound from a 10th-round stoppage loss to WBC titleholder Vitali Klitschko that ended Adamek’s run of 13 straight victories in September.
A former lightheavyweight title and RING cruiserweight champ, Adamek’s only other loss was by decision to Chad Dawson as a light heavyweight in 2007, and his biggest win as a heavyweight was by majority decision over Chris Arreola in April of 2010.
Chambers (36-2, 18 KOs), of Philadelphia, was knocked out in the 12th round by RING Champion Wladimir Klitschko in March of 2010, and has not fought since scoring a unanimous decision over Derric Rossy in February of last year.
Chambers was scheduled to face southpaw contenter Tony Thompson (36-2, 24 KOs) for the right to challenge Wladimir Klitschko again before citing a back injury and pulling out of their initial IBF eliminator bout that was slated to be televised on Showtime on Oct. 28.
Thompson-Chambers was then rescheduled for Dec. 17, but Chambers told IBF officials that he could not participate on that date either, making Thompson the mandatory challenger to Wladimir Klitschko.
Chambers was also set to face Sergei Liakhovich, (25-5, 16 KOs), of Russia, in the Jan. 21 premiere of Fight Night before Chambers broke a rib in sparring and withdrew from the bout. Liakhovich who was stopped in the ninth round by Chambers’ replacement, Philadelphias Bryant Jennings (12-0, 5 KOs).
PETER QUILLIN-RONALD “WINKY” WRIGHT IS SIGNED, SEALED AND DELIVERED
Middleweight prospect Peter Quillin (26-0, 20 KOs) and former junior middleweight champ Ronald “Winky” Wright (51-5-1, 25 KOs) have signed contracts to face each other in a Showtime-televised clash on May 26 at a venue to be determined, Schaefer said.
Over the course of his career, the 40-year-old Wright has twice beaten Mosley, also earned decisions over ex-beltholders Felix Trinidad and Ike Quartey, and battled to a draw with former beltholder Jermain Taylor. Wright lost his last two bouts by Bernard Hopkins and Paul Williams in July of 2007 and December of 2009.
A talented middleweight who goes by the nickname, “Kid Chocolate” (a nod to his cuban heritage), Quillin fought his way out of Grand Rapids, Mich., hoping to get an opportunity to shine in the ring.
A bi-coastal boxer who lives in New York City and Los Angeles, Quillin has won five in a row — all by knockout — since signing with Golden Boy Promotions, including a third-round stoppage of former super middleweight title contender Jesse Brinkley in April of last year.
In his last fight in November, Quillin scored a sixth-round knockout of Scottish fighter Craig McEwan, who entered their bout with a mark of 19-1 that had included 10 stoppages.
Knocked out for the second time in as many fights by Qullin, McEwan had been unbeaten entering his 10th-round stoppage loss to fellow southpaw Andy Lee in March of last year.
Quillin-McEwan took place on the undercard of a junior middleweight main event during which Kirkland stopped Angulo.
Quillin spent much of his preparation for McEwan alongside some of the premiere fighters in the sport at the Wild Card Boxing Club in Hollywood, Calif., which is run by five-time Trainer of the Year, Freddie Roach.
Quillin worked out alongside Manny Pacquiao, WBC middleweight titleholder Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., former two-division beltholder Jorge Linares, and former WBA/IBF junior welterweight beltholder Amir Khan. Quillin sparred with unbeaten junior middleweight contender Vanes Martirosyan.
Photos by Tom Hogan, Hogan Photos-Golden Boy Promotions
Photos by Craig Bennett
Photo by Emily Harney, Fightwireimages.com
Photo by Chris Cozzone, Fightwireimages.com