Former two-time welterweight titleholder Antonio Margarito will return to the ring on May 26 against an opponent to be determined at the Casino del Sol in Tucson, Arizona, according to a report on 15rounds.com.
Last month, Margarito confirmed that talks were under way for him to fight in Arizona, this, after his brother-in-law, super-flyweight Hanzel Martinez, scored a first-round stoppage of Jose Miguel Tamayo at Casino Del Sol on March 23.
Margarito is coming off a 10th-round TKO loss to Miguel Cotto last December, during which his surgically-repaired right eye was badly bloodied by the WBA 154-pound titleholder.
Margarito also said last month that he was targeting WBC midddleweight beltholder Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr., who, like Margarito, is promoted by Top Rank Inc.
Margarito suffered a fractured right orbital bone during a unanimous decision loss to Manny Pacquiao in November of 2010, necessitating the surgery to his eye.
Margarito’s manager, Sergio Diaz, told 15rounds.com that the skin surrounding the eye is vulnerable to further cuts because of the many blows he has absorbed, adding that the 34-year-old veteran will probably have to take on a more defensive style in order to extend his career.
Photo by Chris Farina, Top Rank
Lem Satterfield can be reached at email@example.com