Lem Satterfield

Alvarez-Williams talks intensify

alt

Negotiations for a Sept. 15 bout between former two-time welterweight titleholder Paul Williams and WBC junior middleweight beltholder Saul “Canelo” Alvarez have intensified, according to Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer.

“I met with [Williams' advisor] Al Haymon yesterday, and we met with Canelo on Monday, so I’m trying to put that together. That would certainly be a big fight for Sept. 15,” said Schaefer. 

“We’ll see. I’m going to be continuing to work on this today, and my hope is that within the next few days or by early next week that we can have the fight done and ready to announce.”

The promoter of Williams (41-2, 27 knockouts), Dan Goossen, confirmed Schaefer’s assertions about the possible fight with Alvarez (40-0-1, 29 KOs).

“Al Haymon and I spoke on it yesterday also, and after that conversation, look, it’s a great fight for the sport and it’s a great fight for both fighters,” said Goossen. “What else can you ask for? It’s certainly to the point where there’s discussions moving forward.”

Alvarez made the fourth defense of his belt against former titleholder Sugar Shane Mosley, winning by unanimous decision on May 5.

Alvarez shares a victory over former welterweight beltholder Kermit Cintron with Williams, who has split bouts with RING middleweight champ Sergio Martinez and former beltholder Carlos Quintana, and won a disputed majority decision over Erislandy Lara last year.

Other considerations for Alvarez have been WBC welterweight and WBA junior middleweight beltholder Floyd Mayweather Jr. (43-0, 26 KOs), or three-division titlewinner Miguel Cotto (37-2, 30 KOs), the man Mayweather beat by unanimous decision on May 5.

Hard-punching James Kirkland (31-1, 27 KOs), also promoted by Golden Boy, was also a name mentioned to face Alvarez.

 

 

Photo by Tom Hogan, Hogan Photos, Golden Boy Promotions

Lem Satterfield can be reached at lemuel.satterfield@gmail.com

Around the web